Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suzuki Violin School: Volume 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caeman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Suzuki Violin School: Volume 1 Reply with quote

While I am a big fan of internet resources, having a book can be handy. I researched the various 'methods' out in book form and decided to start out with the Suzuki method. It fits more with my style of learning. I am self-taught on bass guitar and harmonica, having started with tablature and working from there.

This is part of my OC to research something heavily before actually buying the thing. I did the same thing with bass guitar.
Barry1963

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent looked at a Suzuki book myself, but "Play violin today" level one was a big help for me.
caeman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, $9.99 at Amazon.com. I will add it to my wish list for the next time I place an order and need something to pad the order to $25. Amazon is soooo evil!
Becky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of the music in the Suzuki books. They are my favorite books to use with my students. I was teaching myself for a while in my earlier violin days and used the Suzuki books solely because I loved the compositions in them. During that time though, I also did a lot of reading about violin technique written by some of "the greats" and also watched masterclasses online. Compared with other books though, Suzuki seems to lack instructions for various techniques. Perhaps it is assumed that the Suzuki student will have a teacher to teach them. If you find you have trouble with that, you may want to get another method book as a supplement (or ask your questions on here).
caeman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And where Suzuki lacks a teaching, YouTube comes to the rescue! It is a veritable treasure trove of technique viewing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: