Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

staccato and legato problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grace

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: staccato and legato problems Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm currently working on Dvorak's Humoresque and I'm having trouble on the part where you have to legato from D (on A string) to open E where I always get a squeak everytime I do it (and I have to do it 3 times!)
I wonder what could be done to fix it?

I'm also brushing up on most pieces from Suzuki vols. 1&2 and I realized I haven't really concentrated on doing staccatos. can you give me tips on how to do it properly?

Thanks!
Becky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Grace,
Are you referring to the section that starts at measure 33? I just played over it carelessly to try to get a squeak and sure enough that was a prime spot for it to happen! The biggest factor for me was that I wasn't using enough bow pressure when it happened. Try applying more pressure (slightly--perhaps with just your index finger--you want more pressure on your bow, but you don't want to turn that note into accented note). A few other things that may be contributing to the squeak may be part of your left hand might just barely be touching the E string at some point--make sure there is enough clearance between your hand and the string. Also, make sure your bow placement is correct before you pull it. It may help to try it in slow motion. First do the D and E with two down strokes, but pause in between and quickly (and quietly) angle your bow onto the E string, when it is properly placed, then play the E. Gradually move it up to speed and without the rest in between--but still stay focused on correct bow placement. I hope that helps--it's hard when I can't see what you're doing. I don't want to suggest running away from your problems and would definitely encourage you to master it...that being said, one other way to eliminate the squeak would be to play E with your 4th finger on the A string instead of open E.
As far as staccato goes, it is so much easier to demonstrate and learn in person. Do you have a teacher? One technique that may help is to give your index finger a role in producing the staccato--you'll want to press it down on the stick, draw a quick and very short bow stroke, and pop your index finger back up (not off the stick--just releasing the extra pressure). When you're drawing the bow stroke, have the motion come from your index finger--your arm really doesn't move. Your index finger moves in an arch-shape like a smile or a u (but you don't actually pop up and down as much as the U shape). I hope that makes sense. Again, it's so much easier in person.
Good luck and have fun!
grace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Becky!

It sure is hard trying to learn without a teacher!

I've tried applying more pressure before but it only produced louder squeaks! Same thing happened when I glared at my left hand and at the fingerboard so I won't touch the E string. Pausing a bit between the two notes helped though. I'll work through it this week.

Hmmm... I've seen professorV's videos in youtube and I think what you just told me about the staccato is the same as his advice for martele stroke. It's hopeless finding a violinist--and even more so to find a violin teacher-- in our area so I cannot get a "live" help from anyone here.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: staccato and legato problems Reply with quote

If you have any problems with the E string (I think this is the real problem) invest in a wound aluminium on steel.(can I say Pirastro here?) I would also use some of the modern rosin which I recently bought and found it very grippy and just a bit fierce too.(care needed).An open E string is a prime candidate for a "whistle" .Just something to remember.I think Oleg Kagan has an outstanding stacatto the way he takes the bow right off the string and looks very classy too.(forget the exact piece but it`s on u tube)
One feature of a rapid run down the E string is the note that you"ignore "with the fingers and just let it sound as a harmonic as you change position.The note drops just right for the run.This is the type of thing E strings do.
Do you have a small piece of soft leather on the bridge under the E string?Just remembered that.
Plenty to work on there.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: staccato and legato problems Reply with quote

My post had a little error in it.I mentioned Oleg Kagan ,but I really meant Leonid Kogan.See him play the Liebeslied by Kreisler.As I said --Very classy the way the bow comes right off the string.When he starts a note the bow is already moving.
A contrasting way is to press hard with a stationary bow and then start the down bow.Not ,of course ,in this exact piece ,you understand.
BTW Oleg Kagan is a player I have never seen before.I knew his name and thankfully due to my mixup I have found a new hero.His Brahms concerto is very powerful and expressive.He plays the way (in my dreams )I would like to.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: staccato and legato problems Reply with quote

My post had a little error in it.I mentioned Oleg Kagan ,but I really meant Leonid Kogan.See him play the Liebeslied by Kreisler.As I said --Very classy the way the bow comes right off the string.When he starts a note the bow is already moving.
A contrasting way is to press hard (well firmly) with a stationary bow and then start the down bow.Not ,of course ,in this exact piece ,you understand.
BTW Oleg Kagan is a player I have never seen before.I knew his name and thankfully due to my mixup I have found a new hero.His Brahms concerto is very powerful and expressive.He plays the way (in my dreams )I would like to.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: staccato and legato Dvorak Reply with quote

I am afraid I have given you the wrong type of staccato info.I was not familiar with this piece but now I see what you need.
Those fairly gentle staccato notes are best if you concentrate on your finger and wrist more than anything else.As an example put your thumb tip against your jaw bone,and gently brush your finger tips up and down your cheek in the rhythmn of the piece.No arm movement is necessary .That sort of approach should get you closer.Your wrist will do 90% of the work without much arm movement.
Have a look at Itzak Perlman to see how little arm he uses in quick pieces.He does have quite large hands and that does help ,of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: