Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Found an instructor!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Strange

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Found an instructor! Reply with quote

I found a teacher nearby. I emailed him last night and he replied back that he has room for another student. His rates are reasonable and he is only minutes away. I know this is a boring post but I'm excited to learn violin. Here is a link to his website http://www.jhaningmusic.com/bio.html
Barry1963

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on finding a teacher. I looked at his site and its very well done. Good luck with your lessons.
Dr. Strange

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you and yes I also thought his site was thorough.
Shirley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Dr. S! It sure looks as though if anyone can motivate you, it would be Mr, Haning! You will be SURE to let us know what you think?

As a violist, I particularly appreciate his comment that, "You don't have to be licensed to play the viola in public, but you should be!"

The greatest of luck!

Shirley
Dr. Strange

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirley wrote:
Wow, Dr. S! It sure looks as though if anyone can motivate you, it would be Mr, Haning! You will be SURE to let us know what you think?

As a violist, I particularly appreciate his comment that, "You don't have to be licensed to play the viola in public, but you should be!"

The greatest of luck!

Shirley

I certainly will. I feel fortunate to have found him, there are other instructors here but I liked his website, then after corresponding with him I have a better impression of him and he seems outgoing and positive. I just hope that I will be a decent student.
louie james

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr. s. your too lucky you find one in your spot.... good luck!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dr. Strange

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your responses. I had my first lesson tonight, he showed me how to tune my violin, his preferred left hand positioning and I plucked twinkle twinkle little star. I was stoked. We will be starting with suzuki book one, I can't wait til next week.
Dr. Strange

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about some things after my lesson and I'd like to run this past you folks. My teacher was very nice and I heard one of his students learning from him when I arrived. She played beautifully and I have no doubt that he is as skilled as his website says he is.

Here is my dilemma, he is charging $35 for an hour and wants $140 a month in advance up front, which is fine and probably common. He seemed unhappy that I only brought payment for yesterday's lesson but he never mentioned anything other than $35 per lesson when we corresponded through email. (Don't get me wrong he was cool, I'm just letting you know where my head is here after my lesson with him.)

However, I will be sharing my 6pm slot with another student (I was not told about this ahead of time) and we will alternate in 15 minute intervals with the teacher. So I am pretty much getting a half hour of his time but paying for an hour. I also found that he is a little bit further down the road than I originally thought. It's still only a 30 minute drive though.

Alternately, there is a music store( the same one that I had look at my violin when I first got it) that is just 5 minutes away and they only do 30 minute one on one sessions. I would be saving $60 a month and gas if I went with them.

Could those of you who have taken lessons please offer your thoughts? I'm not sure if I should just pay him for a month or look into the music store due to cost and convenience.
Shirley

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again, Dr. Strange - How interesting! The "group lesson" would explain the "cheap" $35 per hour lesson fee. Too bad this wasn't made clear at first. The "up front" monthly payment is common practice, unless you work out a per-lesson deal. At first this is difficult to accept if you are used to not paying for a product until after you receive it. But a person who makes a living by teaching has to have some idea of a monthly income, and if lessons are paid for, the student is more likely not to cancel.

I believe your idea of paying for a month's lessons and at the same time checking into the store's teacher is a good one. Sometimes teachers that work through music stores are very good (I know of a violin teacher who is magnificent but doesn't want the hassle of her own studio right now). Also some not-very-good teachers can be found there. You might even take a lesson through the store during the month of lessons with your first teacher, to compare, since you haven't experience right now to recognize a good teacher.

If Mr. Haning has left you "stoked," that is good! That the time-share thing you mentioned might raise a red flag, I can understand. The only way is to see what you get for your half-hour lesson with each teacher.

Congratulations on pizzicato-ing "Twinkle!" (That is Mozart, you know?) A lot of teachers begin with the Suzuki books because they allow tunes to be played right away. Fun! Everyone is excited to hear about a new student's experiences, so please do keep writing here - thanks!

Shirley
dinga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter takes a private violin lesson. Her fee is $30 per 30 min, once a week. It would be $45 for one hour.
My son takes a piano lesson. His fee is $13 per 30 min, once a week.
I take a classical guitar lesson. My fee is $50 per hour. It used to be once every other week, but I am going to do it once per month.
All requires lump sum payment for whole month at the first week.

Why such a big difference on fees?
The violin instructor holds a master in violin performance. The piano instructor does not hold a music degree. She has played in a church for over 40 years. The guitar insturctor holds a PhD degree in classical guitar.

So, my point is, you get what you pay for. Those instructors with advanced degree may not be for you, but certainly they understand music far better than non-degree holders. If your purpose is to just learn play the "fiddle" without so much emphasis in classical music, you would rather spend $10~15 per 30 min lesson or $20~30 per hour lesson. There'll be plenty of instructors who would charge less.
louie james

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: dr. strange Reply with quote

how are you now dr. strange? how's your playing now with your new instructor?? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dr. Strange

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice and encouragement everyone. I am using the other violin teacher from the music store, everything is going great. Mr Haning was great also but I think maybe just a bit advanced for me. Perhaps I will look to him in the future when I'm a better student.

My current instructor is fun and full of energy and we seem to click, so I am happy with her. Her pace is perfect for me so far.

I will continue to update and keep you informed. Thanks for taking interest in the new guy learning violin.
Becky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear things worked out for you Dr. Strange. I think one on one lessons are best and I'm happy to hear you found a teacher who clicked with you. Those things are important! I'm curious why your first teacher had 2 students alternating. Did he ever explain the purpose of this?
Keep us posted on how you're doing and have fun learning Smile
Dr. Strange

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Becky, to answer your question, no he never offered an explanation but I did not ask him why he didn't mention it up front either. In the meantime my lessons are going great with my current instructor.
Shirley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so great, Dr. Strange! Keep us up to date! Shirley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: