Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to Forum; please give me beginning advice!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lovetheviolin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: New to Forum; please give me beginning advice! Reply with quote

Hey everbody,
I'm really excited about being part of this forum. As of now, I have not begun my violin lessons, but when school is out, they will begin (I'm 21 and in college). I was wondering if there is anything anybody would advise me before I start playing the violin, like something you guys learned that really increased your performance ability, or technique stuff to make sure you get down first, or anything that you think will save me time and give me good sound (though i know the violin takes a long while to learn).
-Also, what do you think about me learning it now, at age 21? Are there advantages? Disadvantages? (I've played fingerstyle guitar for about 5-6 yrs, so i don't know if that helps). Thanks everybody!! Smile
Becky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older beginners have the advantage of being able to focus a lot more and have more quality practice and lesson sessions than younger students. They understand more about what they're playing, the technique needed, etc. Younger students have the advantage of (usually) more time to practice and young flexible muscles, joints, etc.

Scales are a great thing--easy enough for a beginner to be able to play at their first or second lesson but fundamentally challenging enough to be a good exercise for even the professional violinist. You will probably want to start by practicing them slowly and aim for each note to be perfectly and beautifully in tune. Start by using just a 1/3 of the bow and expand to a full bow as you are able. Watch your bowing--keep it straight. Listen carefully for a good sound from your bow. Pay careful attention to using correct posture--especially as a beginner you don't want to start off creating bad habits that are hard to break. Keeping all those good things in mind, you can also try playing the scales faster or with more notes per bow stroke. As you advance, you'll learn more ways to practice scales.

There are many good technique books that your teacher should guide you in. The most important thing is to always play attentively--there are many details to think about. If you practice carefully and do well with the fundamentals you will have a solid foundation to build more skills on.

You should also listen to a lot of violin music (make sure you pick good recordings). Listen for enjoyment. Listen like a music critic--figure out what you like or don't like about different violinists. Listen for violinists whose sound and style you love. Keep their sound in your ear while you're playing and aim for it. You should be proud of yourself and what you accomplish--you're not going to sound like a pro in a day--but you should also not be content with a lesser sound than you are capable of. Strive for more.

It can be hard to stay as focused as you need to be when practicing--practicing goes way beyond just playing through a song or study. Quality practice time produces much better results.

Best of luck to you. I'm excited for you being able to begin playing the violin. Have fun!!!
Becky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing--it's great that you have a teacher lined up as it's difficult to learn to play the violin well without a teacher. It can be tempting while you're waiting for lessons to begin to pick up the violin and play around with it. Knowing that draw myself I couldn't say don't touch it without a teacher...but if you do decide to start on your own first, make sure you hold the violin and bow correctly. Poor technique is easy to create and hard to undo.
lovetheviolin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks becky, that was a MUCH better response than I was anticipating and I really appreciate it. Part of why I decided to join a forum was just as much to keep my moral up as it was to get assistance: thank you. Others reading this, please keep posting if you have ideas! Thank you again Becky, and thanks ahead of time to all...
Shirley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovetheviolin: I was happy to see your post -

And you are privileged to have received such help from Becky - she gives excellent advice! (Gee, Becky - I'd love to tell you where to send the kickback, but I don't like publishing my home address.) I don't think I need an emoticon here?

If you can hang in there, Love, as Becky advised, you really will be better off - 50 years after last playing in HS (and YOU are worried about possibly starting late??) when I contacted a teacher, she told me, "don't try to play or anything - just come and we will start cold." Boy, was that hard. Since I remembered how to hold the viola, I'm afraid I did pick it up and ran the bow across a string... the horrid sound cured me immediately of my disobedience, and I was so glad I let my teacher work with me from scratch again.

That all is not really a "hint," but it is true! You can pet your violin, and talk sweet nothings to it, and admire it's perfect figure, but heed Becky!

You might gather together the accoutements you will need - ask at a music store about a good but not too expensive rosin (for the nonce), and pack along a soft cloth to wipe the rosin from the body and the strings of your violin after playing. Do you know what brand of strings are currently on your instrument? Your teacher may recommend different (or better) strings after she hears your violin, so I'd wait before buying new ones. An electronic tuner is a good investment, too. And you will want a case to cary it all in.

How exciting, not just for you, but for us who frequent this forum - we all love to hear the the reactions and comments of beginners.

You are 21? Will you be graduating this spring, or do you have a year or so to go yet? Just the very, very best of luck to you in school, and violin!

Shirley
Becky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirley, it's too bad you don't like publishing your home address--I might have told you your check was in the mail Wink Seriously though, thank you for your kind words
Lovetheviolin, when is your first lesson? You'll definitely have to keep us posted
lovetheviolin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey!
so shirley, thanks so much for the response as well, both you and becky seems super nice and were very helpful. I've been on other music forums (guitar etc.) and they for sure were nice, but...you guys are super nice too. Anyways...
my first lesson will be around the 22nd of May or so, and I will for sure let you guys know how it goes. I don't know who exactly i'm taking them from yet, because a really good violin/music professor at my college said he knows some students that teach that are good, so i might do that, OR, i might get lessons from a place close to home. Any suggestions? Thanks again for your nice comments, and again, i'll let you know how the first lesson goes when it comes around, and i'm SUPER EXCITED! Sometimes i can't fall asleep because i'm just thinking about it or up all night because i'm watching YouTube clips of violinists =) hopefully the joy stays with me when i begin to play, but anyways...to-da-loo!
Shirley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love ~ The 22nd is my birthday - it would be just a lovely present to hear that you had your first lesson then! Do keep us informed, as promised.

Good luck! (But you will need your sleep!) Your guitar background should help you, especially if you read the treble clef. Good for you!

Shirley

PS - Becky - Oh, shoot! I could have used the check to get some new strings. Oh, well. You really do have nifty and helpful things to say, however!

Wink
Jack H.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait for lessons so you dont develop bad habits!
Learn to read music until then....
lovetheviolin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jack H. I know how to read music, well...sort of. I can read the notes and count the times that are in 4 or 2, and most of the symbols are still confusing. You are right, it would be good to go and read music as much as I could. Thanks, I'm going to hop on that ASAP!
Musicalion

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can only emphasize that you wait for your first lesson to start playing. It's so easy to develop bad habits that are aggravating to try to get rid of later.
Have fun!
each with preview page and audio file
also provide websites for musicians
Verdi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my advice.......
1. Buy the most expensive set up you can afford right at the start.
2. Violin is not like guitar. There are no frets. And you can finger a chord on the guitar in your first guitar lesson and it sounds like a guitar. It takes a long time to get that violin sound.
3. Just because you're playing a song doesn't mean you're playing the violin. The violin must be effortless and it must sing. This takes years.
4. Realize that it's a committment and just plod along with it.
5. And the biggest advice: don't overdue it. Don't try to learn everything at once, don't subscribe to all the magazines, don't go in debt if you can't afford it, don't compare yourself to others, just do what you know to do with your violin - and it will come - very slowly - but you'll get there. You will have to be very forgiving and laid back. The struggle will be worth it if you love it.
Verdi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: