Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question re: New Student - initial interview?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mshikibu

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Question re: New Student - initial interview? Reply with quote

This email is addressed to anyone who has ever either started private lessons on an instrument, or given them. I am curious about how other teachers screen new, prospective students, if they do, and what procedures or processes they use to determine if they'd like to work with a new student.

As a teacher, I would like to avoid at least some of the following difficulties:

1. Students who think they're going to learn the instrument in a very brief period of time;
2. Students who are rude to me, talk back to me at lessons;
3. Students who bring other, way too advanced, materials and/or CD's to lessons, expecting me to teach them that;
4. Students who don't follow directions, don't practice what I indicate, don't get the materials I request;
5. Students who are always late, or don't show up, or call an hour before the lesson;
6. Students who change their lesson time every week;
7. Parents who push their children beyond where the children need to be;
8. Parents who forget to pay the fees on time.

I do have a lesson policy which I send via email initially, and also provide in hard copy with a signature line, at the first lesson. [See: http://beststudentviolins.com/Studio.html ] Most of my students are absolutely wonderful, but I do get some strange ones.

TIA,
Connie
Musicalion

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Question re: New Student - initial interview? Reply with quote

Dear Connie,
I read your question and the policy on your website with great interest. I am afraid I don't screen new students but I just wanted to say you have my sympathy! I can tell from your policy you've had some trying situations to deal with!
Eve
each with preview page and audio file
also provide websites for musicians
Musicalion

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Question re: New Student - initial interview? Reply with quote

Dear Connie,
I read your question and the policy on your website with great interest. I am afraid I don't screen new students but I just wanted to say you have my sympathy! I can tell from your policy you've had some trying situations to deal with!
Eve
each with preview page and audio file
also provide websites for musicians
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: