Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are shoulder rests necessary?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AntonPolezhayev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalia wrote:
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but 15 or so years ago when I began looking into purchasing better violins and hence began discussing this issue of shoulder pads with people, the professional players I spoke to told me that because the design of the modern shoulder pads have almost no contact with the violin itself (they usually only have two "feet" that touch at small points where the sides of the violin meet the top and bottom of the violin), the new rests do not inhibit vibration of the top and back of the violin the way that the older rests (and playing with no rest) does. This of course tends to allow for more volume, more resonance, and a more "open" tone. These same performers described the use of older pads and no pads as having a "muffling" effect.

The problem is that the shoulder rest's legs prevent the sideways vibration of the violin by holding it from two sides.

You can easily confirm this right now by playing with and then without shoulder rest one immediately after the other, and compare the sound volume and density.

Also, without shoulder rest lower deck is not to be touched with your body except at the very edge where the violin rest beautifully along the collar bone.

One of the most interesting experiments to avoid the damage to sound b use of shoulder rest came from the famous Menuhin model which you pretty much can't find today anymore, and the new imitations completely missed the entire point and only make it LOOK like the Menuhin model without the critical key design detail:
The old Menuhin model actually let go of the violin!!! when gentle pressure was applied as you hold the violin. The whole model flexed slightly and thus the shoulder rest's legs stopped making contact with the violin from both sides, and then would resume the grip as you diminish pressure during breaks or as you stop playing and release pressure from your chin and/or shoulder. When you played only 4 small hard surface (for less muting) contact points would remain outside those black edge lines of the violin. But even that still muted the sound... Sad

p.s.
The chinrest should be over the block (over tailpiece on both sides) NOT all on one side. This makes a dramatic difference in sound.
Also, chinrest should be of extremely light weight, as that too has major effect on sound.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anton As an experiment I drew around the part of the chinrest that I actually touch with my chin and then removed all the unused area.
When I compared the weight of the slimmed down violin with a violin fitted with an offset chinrest The difference was remarkable.I held them by the neck with the body away from me.The offset one seemed massively heavier.Heifetz used a chinrest to the left side.I never had the choice of playing over the tail block ( with a shorter neck ) but even so the total chinrest weight must make the biggest difference.Even if you wanted to play over the tail block the angle of the violin might not suit that position.
On satellite tv there was a concert from Lyon in France and many players had large unused areas of chinrest on show as they played .Black ,so I presume in heavy ebony.
Just a few extra thoughts on the subject.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have managed to get some photos of my shoulder rest in position so you will see how little contact there is with the instrument.Some minor editing and cropping to be done first.
AntonPolezhayev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amezcua wrote:
Anton As an experiment I drew around the part of the chinrest that I actually touch with my chin and then removed all the unused area.
When I compared the weight of the slimmed down violin with a violin fitted with an offset chinrest The difference was remarkable.I held them by the neck with the body away from me.The offset one seemed massively heavier.Heifetz used a chinrest to the left side.I never had the choice of playing over the tail block ( with a shorter neck ) but even so the total chinrest weight must make the biggest difference.Even if you wanted to play over the tail block the angle of the violin might not suit that position.
On satellite tv there was a concert from Lyon in France and many players had large unused areas of chinrest on show as they played .Black ,so I presume in heavy ebony.
Just a few extra thoughts on the subject.

Yes, Kreisler too used chinrest to one side. It was quickly discovered mostly by makers and repairmen that this uneven pressure was responsible for the common cracks in the upper deck that are often mistaken for weather cracks etc.

Many chinrests to one side are VERY comfortable however. It's hard to find an over the block one that would be so comfy. I think that perhaps explains Kreisler's and Heifetz's decision.

Both men were also known for applying ungodly bordering on ugly pressure with the bow at the bridge in order to produce their patented long distance powerful sound (people who heard Heifetz from a couple of feet away were disappointed and rather surprised at all the scratching etc), and thus probably did not put too much emphasis on ringing differences between chinrests.
Amalia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an over-the-tailpiece chin rest for years and finally pitched it and switched back to an on-the-side one that is so much more comfortable. It sounds like I'm doing everything wrong. Sad
John Cadd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no ,as you were Amalia. This reminds me of a suggestion I made that the side chinrest strip would be better with a small thin block glued to the ribs (similar to the end block,and right from belly to back).A piece of willow that small would be extremely light and would preserve the vibrations near the edge. I noticed the shape of the chinrest contact area ,if it has a cut-out for the tailpiece .The feet come into the belly area if it is fitted to one side.This can be adjusted on a sanding belt. (after removing ,of course ) .
The extra block would only be fitted to new instruments in case you thought I was a butcher. I never realised that cracks in the belly were caused by this.I have often seen ribs stressed and distorted by excessive clamp pressure. That would be done by a player rather than a repairer. See also bent bridges. It`s in that league.
Andres Sender

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalia don't worry, just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's true. Wink
John Cadd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andres I dinna ken what you mean.As they say on Radio Merseyside,"Give us a clue Billy". It`s a multiple choice question:
Choose one of the following, Clamps,Cracks,Blocks,Chin/Shoulder Rests. Please show your working.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andres
If you`ve said that-----and it`s on the internet-----is that true? Discuss.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished reading through this entire thread about shoulder rests. I am very impressed and have learned a few things.

For a long time I have been trying to dispense with shoulder rests but have not been able to. The way I got rid of the chinrest grip problem was to let the natural weight of the head rest on the chinrest. The weight of the head is sufficient enough to hold the violin up. I got this idea from a book called "A New Approach To Violin Playing" by Kato Havas. Since then, I have absolutely no more sore chin.

Now I am inspired to dispense with the shoulder rest. I use the Kun shoulder rest and it is quite comfortable to me. I have no pain or tension when I play. However I come across new and used violins quite frequently and most of the time I don't have my shoulder rest around. Also taking them off and putting them on properly can add up in time.

I am asking forum members if anyone else besides Anton has read the book "Ricci on Glissando"? Has anyone else also been successful to dispense their shoulder rest?

Final question: Has any member or reader tried out amezcua new patented shoulder rest that attaches to the violin chinrest clamps?
LSOviolinist

Location: Los Angeles, California/Boston, Massachusetts/New York, New York

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic has always been a controversial one. On the comment about Paganini not using a shoulder rest, all I have to say is this: that unless I am greatly mistaken, ( and if I am PLEASE correct me), Shoulder rests were not around during his time. Not in Vivaldi's nor Tartini's. It would be an interesting experiment to travel back and show them the "Modern Violin" and see if they approved the chinrest, shoulder rest, and fingerboard. Because I can't travel through time, nor fly through the sky, this is purely theoretical. So I take issue with saying that it's "the way it's SUPPOSED to be." If these three gentleman approved of the shoulder rest, that would mean it's the way it's supposed to be, therefore, where would that leave us? Playing the violin is already unnatural and awkward, but, the one who finds comfort for themselves is infinitely right. It is like the quote by Oliver Goldsmith, "Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies." The player creates their reality. I think this boils down to personal preference. For instance, I play with a shoulder rest. I do not, however, play with a chinrest. My absolute comfort is gained with this combination. I have been playing like this for quite some time and it allows me play my best. If I played with the opposite and it worked, then that would be right. What I'm pointing out is that by turning on tunnel vision and saying it's supposed to be one way is like telling the population that there is one size of clothing for everybody. Whatever the piece of clothing is, it's the same size. Imagine the problems. Skinny people, not fitting into their clothing, overweight individuals ripping their clothing and for that 5-10% of the population that actually fits into the specified size, are all overjoyed to find out that they never have to try anything on again! Just wanted my four cents out there. Cheers!
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSOviolinist,

Your comments are well received. Smile

I was not promoting or discouraging shoulder rests. I have seen many good violinists with shoulder rests.

My desire to dispense of the shoulder rest is a personal one - a matter of convenience in various circumstances. Trying other violins makes it easier if I do not have to switch shoulder rests from one violin to another. If violins normally came without some type of chinrests these days, then I would have a double problem of trying to switch chinrests as well. Then I would like to dispense of the chinrest also for convenience.Wink

Lemuel
Chad48309

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider it a matter of personal preference. Being an amateur player, I have learned to play violin without a shoulder rest simply because they are incredibly uncomfortable for me.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chad,

How do you hold the violin up? Is it held with your left arm/hand? Can you let go without the violin falling?
Do you move your shoulder slightly forward and up and does it get tired?
Do you have a long neck or a short one?

I'm in research mode now, so I need to know what other players are experiencing.

Lemuel
LSOviolinist

Location: Los Angeles, California/Boston, Massachusetts/New York, New York

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some food for thought. Paul Neubauer's ideas on relaxation and posture. He plays without a shoulder rest and tells us what William Primrose told him about holding the instrument. Although he is talking about the viola, the comments also ring true for the violin.

http://www.youtube.com/user/muconycom#p/u/27/NsgIzXmJ00E
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: