Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strings question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sweep

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Strings question Reply with quote

I recently acquired a violin which is presumably half size (the body is about 12 inches)?

I notice some makers supply strings in half and threequarter sizes. Do I need to buy half size strings. I'd expect I could buy full size ones and just trim off the last couple of inches once I've fitted them, but I thought I should ask first.

Also, could I ask about string types? Can any type of string be used, according to preference, or are gut strings and so forth for specific kinds of violin?

- thanks
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Strings Reply with quote

You should get strings made for the appropriate size violin, because the tone and playability has a lot to do with the pressure on the bridge and top of the violin because they may be heavier gauge and require higher tension to bring them into tune on a smaller violin.

You can order them on-line from southwest strings, which is one of the better sites, very reliable and competitively priced. Buy as good a set of strings as your budget allows. Leave the gut strings for now to the professionals. You might get a set of strings from your local music store, but I'm betting they won't have the size you need.

Be sure when you put the new strings on, replace them one at a time. Lubricate the slot in the bridge and nut with a pencil lead. Wind them neatly, and bring each up to tune before going on to the next, first G, then E, then D, and finally A. If you take all strings off at one time you could have the sound post fall over inside the violin, then you'd be in trouble! As you go through this routine, its not a bad idea while the string is off, to pull the peg out and apply a little peg soap on it to make it easier to turn and tune.

Also, keep close eye on the bridge as you go through the process, make sure it stays up straight and doesnt start to tilt forward.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: