Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Trials and Tribulations of a Beginner
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caeman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From research I had done before being given a violin, holding the fiddle the way I am is not uncommon. Rather, it is a more traditional way of holding, a style that isn't as popular now, but certainly still in use.

I find it quite comfortable. I can talk, sing, look around...much more freedom than jamming it between my chin and shoulder.
Shirley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caeman - thank you so much for posting that link to Truman Price - isn't that wonderful?? Yes, I have seen old-timey fiddlers place the violin on their chests, but that far down is new to me.

Notice how Truman Price wiggles just his bow hand at the wrist during the fast parts? He is really something!

You are on your way!

Shirley
caeman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Weekly Update Reply with quote

This week, things are feeling easier in some aspects of the practice. I start off each practice with bowing the open strings. Long, slow draws and pushes, quick ones, 8th notes, varying up the rhythm, etc. This gets me in the mindset of focusing on the specific string I want to hit.

I figure one of the toughest challenges for a beginner to overcome is hitting just the one string. It is so easy to play a double-stop if I lose focus.

This week, my plan is to further work on my bowing technique while slowly playing the C major scale. Playing a clean open string is one thing, playing a B on the G string seems to require just a little more pressure than on an open string. Much like on a tin whistle where the bottom 3 holes require less air pressure than the top 3 holes.

And for fun, I am continuing to work on Amazing Grace, Suo Gan and Irish Washerwoman.
Shirley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nifty! (Though you may find that later, when you WANT to play two strings at a time, you've gotten so good at playing one string that double stops are difficult! You have a lot of fun to look forward to!)

Continue to report in?

Shirley
caeman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is going to be a form of running blog for me, so I will continue to post updates. This way, with all comments in one thread, people can more easily ignore me if they aren't interested.
caeman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have all of Suo Gan roughed out on the fiddle. It is the version I would play for irish whistle, so maybe it isn't the most appropriate version, but it is working for me. I only the D and A strings to play the song. I will practice it for the rest of week and then brave a recording to share.
caeman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night, I tried out a little exercise to work on my finger dexterity and strength. Just on the G string, I would bounce back forth between pressing down with my index finger, and then middle. Then index and 4th finger. Then index and pinky.

I tell you now, it wasn't exactly easy. I was probably over-thinking it, but even such a simple exercise, I was making a lot of mistakes. It was definitely providing a good workout for my pinky.
Shirley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caeman - what you describe is kin to Sevcek (pronounced "Sevcheck) exercises, which are for exactly the purpose you you are using yours for! Congratulations on being so discerning!

The idea is to bring your finger tip down as sharply and cleanly as you can.

Keep at it - I'm looking forward to hearing more recordings.

Shirley
caeman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More finger exercises tonight. More better with Suo Gan. Part of Suo Gan has me, uh, rolling? I start the song on the D open string, so High D for the song is on the A string. The last measure of the b-section has me play High D-B-A (open string). Tonight, my fingers were doing it. With a single pull of the bow, I was getting all the notes in cleanly.

yay.

Another section has me playing B-G-A-F#. This has me bouncing back forth form on the D and A strings. That was more comfortable tonight, as well.
caeman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, learning has been accomplished!

I took the fiddle out to the back porch tonight and practiced there. I played through Amazing Grace and Suo Gan completely from memory. Was it pretty? Probably not yet to another's ears, but it brought a smile to my face. Smile

Next up, Irish Washerwoman.
caeman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight, I was trying to not look at the finger board at different portions of the songs I am working on. I am happy to report that the experiment did not totally suck. Laughing

F# and G are close enough, that even this n00b was getting it. E to F# was little more hit'n'miss, though. Not quite ready for changing strings without looking, though.
caeman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what is the proper way to go from playing a note on the G string, to the A string? In trying to play Irish Washerwoman, the low D in the song is easy enough for me (open D), and back over to the G string. But, at the end of the first phrase, it has me go High D, Cnat, B. This has me going from Open G, skipping a string, and then hammering down the higher D.

Now, am I suppose to keep the bow in contact with the strings at all times, so I just need to work on briefly stopping the bow as I change the angle to hit the A string? Or a slight lift of the bow over the D strings to avoid playing it?
Shirley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, keep your bow on the strings - stop the bow momentarily as you quietly cross over the unplayed string. This isn't all that easy for a beginner, so good luck. (Maybe someone else could off more advice?) Shirley
caeman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another board, someone suggested I begin the song on the A string, instead of the G string, to avoid the string jumping. I am going to try it out at the higher octave and see how it goes.
caeman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the practice routine tonight.

Tonight, I started off with my usual routine of basic bowing technique. Then, as with tin whistle, I play through my current tune list of known songs: Amazing Grace and Suo Gan. The more I play them, the better they are sounding. I play them once each. Then, I move to the songs not in memory. I hacked away at Irish Washerwoman a bit more, then I brought out Ailue Anai. Ailue Anai is definitely a lot easier than IWW. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: