Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Trials and Tribulations of a Beginner
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caeman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some ear training last night and tried to decipher the opening phrases for Mary Fahl's Going Home. While my fiddle doesn't quite sound as good doing it, I was able to figure the first 3 phrases. The little slur thing kinda aludes me still, but I think I figured outsomething that fits.
caeman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight, I worked on trying to saw less wood, and connect more notes within a single bow stroke.

I began the exercise by trying to draw and push the bow as slowly as I could, yet get a consistent and good sound. I repeated this on each string. Then, I returned to the G string and within a single bow stroke, played G-A-B-C. After a few times, I extended this to G-A-B-C-B-A-G, and then did a random order, trying to get 8 good notes per stroke.

And then for each of the other strings.

The newest tune I am trying to now learn is Farewell to Castlehyde. It is a relatively simple tune, rhythm-wise. Lotsa quarter notes, just a few 8th notes. It is a song that begs for ornamentation.
caeman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been working on keeping my fingers down as much as possible (thank you for that advice!) and it has made playing certain patterns a heck of a lot easier. Doing so also seems to have relieved a little pressure off the hand as my hand isn't getting so tired now after 30 minutes.
caeman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an interesting study in bowing technique:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywMPtwM8avs

Both playing the same thing, but nearly completely different bowing speeds.
Highlander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caeman, how are you gettting on now you must have started playing about the same time as me.
caeman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are progressing at a comfortable pace.

I have been focusing on bowing technique and practicing songs with either a lot of sawing, or connecting/slurring more notes together into a single bow stroke, seeing what sounds good, and see what I still need to practice.

I slowed down in trying to memorized new songs, in favor of trying to perfect those I have memorized at this point. I am still working on new songs to expand my working skills, though I am just not specifically trying to memorize them.

I convinced that I am hooked on fiddle. I foresee a new violin in my future, either December 2010 or December 2011. Given the cost of a good quality violin, saving up the money for one will be a long task. That, and I have to decide which to get first...a high-quality banjo or violin. Both are $750 to $1250 for what I would be looking at. I can only afford one such purchase in a calendar year, so we will see near the end of 2010 what I've decided to do.

My music wish list is not incredibly long, but expensive:

1. Bass guitar amp, something 50+ watts, possibly tube-based.
2. Banjo
3. Fiddle
4. Erhu
5. M-Audio Keystation 88.
Highlander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why the m-audio if you dont mind me asking. does it have any features apart from being a midi controller. I bought a behringer umx and it has good touch sensitivity for piano.
caeman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am going to learn to piano, I just want to buy one. My house isn't big enough for multiple keyboards/pianos. I want it to be 88-key, so I am learning the full size. I want it to be portable enough to loan out to friends if they need it, or for me should I ever get good enough to play outside of the house. And then there is the cost. At $350 at Musician's Friend, it is a lower price than the other 88-key models.
caeman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have I mentioned lately how much the fiddle is? If not, I have been remiss in doing so.

I picked two new music books:
Mel Bay Presents 101 Three Chord Songs for Country & Bluegrass Songs For Guitar, Banjo, & Uke
Mel Bay presents 101 Three Chord Songs for Hymns & Gospel For Guitar, Banjo & Uke

202 songs in the key of G, making use of the G, C and D7. The songs seem to translate well to fiddle, at least two songs I am tried did, though it may lack some of the marked finesse a more expert fiddler might require from sheet music.
caeman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight is my night to get some quality time on the fiddle. Every Wednesday, the wife goes to a bible study and takes the boys with her for their own kids classes. I have the house all to myself for a solid 2 hours.
Highlander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caeman you should learn abide with me for when they come back.
caeman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Jam Session! Reply with quote

My first bluegrass jam session on fiddle! w00t!

I do not have a wide knowledge of bluegrass. I did not grow up listening to it, but as I have a love for the fiddle, I've been seeking out more music where the fiddle is often a part to be heard, something other than classical. Thus, I have been listening to country and bluegrass on the radio more now than ever before in my life.

I started out on banjo, but I just wasn't feeling it. I did that for an hour. I am no quitter. I know that I am new and in the beginning, it is supposed to be work.

But for the second hour, I brought out the fiddle. That point, the only other fiddle player had moved to bass guitar, so the bassist could bring out his banjo. The guy is great! He plays Scruggs-style. But I digress...

Out came my fiddle. I kept to a basic plan...stick to the chords. Light bowing of the root, maybe arpeggio, nothing fancy. After an hour, I was feelin' pretty good about my basics.

Overall, I am glad I went and took my fiddle.
caeman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old school mate was hosting a bluegrass jam at her place today. The gathering was heavily Mandolin-oriented, but there was an upright bass and another banjo player when I there.

At first, I just kinda plucked quietly on the banjo, but them got the fiddle out. Out of 5 hours of playing, I put in nearly 4 hours on fiddle. By the end of the night, I was comfortable and trying new things. I had a blast!

I played banjo for the last hour and it went better than my first hour there. At that point, I was getting a rhythm and I gave up playing chords and was trying to play harmony one note at a time.

Then...they looked at me and asked, "Do you know any songs on your banjo?"

Can you say "performance anxiety"?

So, I played the one and only song I know by heart on banjo: I'll Fly Away. The song sounded so much better with an accompaniment of upright bass, 6 mandos and a guitar.
caeman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Tis the season to be merry and bright!

Happy Chanukah and Merry Christmas to all!

Time for me to dig up sheet music for the dreidl and chanukah songs, as well the Christmas favorites.

One of my favorites is "O Come, O Come, Emmanuelle". My favorite versions of this tune are done with a hauntingly slow tempo and lotsa cello.
caeman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't posted in a while.

I am still practicing on a regular basis. Not every night now, due to my other instrument getting equal time, but every other night if I can.

In addition to trying to learn Irish Traditional Music (ITM), I have also begun delving into bluegrass, klezmer and blues with my fiddle. Pretty much with ALL of my instruments, even tinwhistle. A high D tin whistle isn't very good at the blues, I must admit.

My finger callouses are developing nicely due to all of the stringed instruments I am learning.

I have recently been practicing with a bluegrass group. They have the lyric/chord sheets for all of their music. I am improving around the chord.

Fun stuff, I tell ya, fun stuff!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: