Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Trials and Tribulations of a Beginner
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techfiddle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

******** Content deleted by Forum Management ************

It's always interesting to see that people who, for whatever reasons, choose to approach the violin by self-teaching, try to reinvent the wheel themselves, rather than relying on the accumulated wisdom developed since the early 16th century, passed down through treatises and from teacher to student.

That would not be my method if I were a novice. And I do go through periods where I study some subject or writer or artist intensively. I've gone through (for example) periods where I'd read everything by an author -- Tolstoi or Joyce or D.H. Lawrence -- or study some period in art history, such as impressionism. I'm reading (I should say re-reading) Thomas Freidman now, and in the recent past, Dawkins and Hutchins and Sam Harris and before that, always, Russell.

But my methods were never to strike out on my own and see what I could discover about (say) painting or atheism or politics. Rather, I'd read everything available on the subject, and not just non-fiction, but personal memoirs and biographies.

I don't understand this method of "I'm going to learn this on my own."

******** Content deleted by Forum Managment ***********
http://beststudentviolins.com/Home.html
caeman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*********** Content Deleted by Forum Management *************

How do I sound have after one year of first picking up a fiddle and not being able to practice much more than 15 minutes a day, and having laugh sometimes steal that for a week at a time? I sound like someone who isn't able to practice all the time, that's what.

The bluegrass group I am playing with seems to like the sound I have been making for the last 6 months. My playing isn't fancy, but it works.

And most importantly, I am having fun.

Regarding the reinvention of the wheel...I'm not. I am using the video lessons from non-egotistical players, and books that have been used to teach fiddler players for decades.

*********** Content deleted by Forum Management ************
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Techfiddle,

I have three young children, ages 7, 8 and 11. They are all gifted in some ways.

Lately, I saw them play with iPods that belong to their cousins. I'm just amazed at how they can figure things out. They were not taught anything. They just went to it. They pushed here and there and eventually found a pattern, or a sequence. Soon they had control over it and could go to any place they wanted. Of course, they could not do all this at first. It took time (about a day).

Now contrast this with someone who is somewhat intimidated by technology. I still meet people that will not touch a computer, and those that do are overwhelmed by the buttons, icons, menus...etc. With these folks, you have to sit down with them and go over step by step how to navigate.

Obviously, some are gifted in music and some are not. Those that are gifted do not need as much teaching as those who are not. As a matter of fact, I've heard gifts destroyed after teaching. The ones who are gifted often reinvent new wheels or bring new perspectives to existing wheels.

Have you ever asked, who taught the first violin maker, the first violinist? This applies to all field of endeavors not just music. Most new wheels come by trial and error. Others come by inspiration, a revelation or hunch.

My main point is that there are those that need teaching to progress and there are those that don't need as much teaching.

When it comes to "reinvention of wheels", I'm not sure that this is really a problem. Even to teach oneself how to do something is a real gift, even if someone has done it before. Reinventing the wheel can help one to understand and know a problem or subject of endeavor more deeply.

Having said all this, I am not against learning from experts or from accumulated wisdom - it is still my preferred way for learning.
caeman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, when 15 minutes becomes 45.

In between football games, I got out the fiddle with the idea of putting in 15 minutes. I felt the desire to touch a fiddle, that's all.

45 minutes later... Very Happy

The new D'Addario Preludes are settled in now and sounding better than the Red Labels I had previously been using.
Highlander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey

just got back on this forum. how are you doing now
caeman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not practicing as much these days. My work in music ministry has me primarily focused on vocals, drums and bass guitar now.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey caeman, how are you doing these days? Did something happen with your violin?
caeman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have the violin, I just don't practice with it as much these days. Between my music ministry duties, work and family, I just don't have as much time to practice on 8 different instruments. I had to cull the herd.
Highlander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how you feel, If you stop rehearsing it only takes a couple of days until you need to rehearse for a few hours to get back into the feel. best wishes to your music ministry, hope things go well/are going well.
as for myself, I have joined 2 orchestras and visit a music society twice a week,its quite fun in 2nd violin (an experience I am loving)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: