Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Washing Bow Hair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Rushing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Washing Bow Hair Reply with quote

I have tried washing the hair on a few of my bows. So far, they seem
to be doing o.k. If any of you do this, What is the best type of soap or
detergent to use?
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, I have washed hair... in my early days I just used a good shampoo without conditioners... but found that was not particulaly effective. I then tried an ammonia solution which works great and knocks the dirt out real quick, but will tend to brittle the hair more than shampoo. Old hair is often brittle anyway, and washing is not a good investment. Very seldom do I wash hair anymore... the time and result is just not worth it... A good new rehair is far better, and the time you spend monkeying around with the hair and tangles, and trying to keep the plug dry ( otherwise it can swell and split the bowtip), you might as well do a rehair. I use the best hair I can get....and when its done I am always pleased and proud of the job, and my clients are impressed.
cheers, Mat
Jack Rushing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, Right you are.!!!. But these bows are not all that old. I think someone
has been doing a lot of playing with greasy fingers.
The few that I have washed, I used the wife's dish washing detergent.
On the real bad spots, about one and a half to two inches from the frog,
I used a little alcohol. It worked pretty good. Wonder why the bow hair is
always more dirty in this area?
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, Likely rosin grabbing finger dirt and grease. Just for the heck of it....try wiping with a wet rag with hot ( hand tolerable) ammonia solution... I use 3/4 cup of water and 1-2 glugs of household clear ammonia. You will be impressed with how easily the dirt is released! But test it first on a junker bow!
Cheers, Mat
Jack Rushing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, Thanks, Will try it on the next bow.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: washing bow hair Reply with quote

One of the many processes in preparing bow-hair is rinsing in methylated spirits(or you may call it denatured alcohol).
Be aware that violin varnish will dissolve if it gets too close to meths.
Rosin for the bow comes from the same group of chemicals that make oil varnish.A quick demonstration to clean a bow.Put a few drops on some clean cotton.(not fluffy).Rub this on the dirty parts of the bow hair and see how quickly the gunge comes off.A good teacher will always stress to keep fingers clear of the hair and the strings at the top end.
Do NOT try to clean the top of your violin this way.
The dissolved rosin will be tacky for about 24 hours
An interesting trick is --get a small artist brush.Wet it with Meths and rub on the side of the rosin block.Then paint a pattern on some glass or a clean mirror.Next day try to remove it.
A quick way to kick-start a new bow is to gently "paint" on some rosin onto the hair.24 hours later the hair is all stuck and stiff but wiggle the hairs free and this lasts for ages without dust on your violin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: