Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ivan Dunov VL140 or Meisel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gravesen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Ivan Dunov VL140 or Meisel Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I want to start learning to play violin, but I found a couple of different violins on craigslist that i cant decide between; so, which do you think would be better?

1) 2004 Ivan Dunov VL140 - $375 OBO

"This European made violin is in perfect working order. There's some very light signs of wear, but overall is in great condition. It's currently strung up with Corelli Crystal strings and an ebony tailpiece with a single fine tuner, and it sounds an plays beautifully. It comes with a hygrometer-equipped case, brazilwood bow, Kun shoulder rest, Super Sensitive rosin, carrying straps, case key and an extra Wittner composite tailpiece with four fine tuners. If there's any areas you'd like to see photographed, let me know." I have yet to see this one in person, but it looks good in the pics.

2) Meisel - $500

I can't tell you alot about this one. The serial # is 47945. it was made in Germany, but i cant read the name of the maker. it has a hygrometer equipped case aswell. is missing a string but other than that it looked, sounded, and felt realy nice. i think it had two bows if i remember correctly.

Any help deciding will be much apriciated.
caeman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of being able to take either violin to a music shop to have it looked over by experienced eyes?
Gravesen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not... they are both about an hour and a half away in opposite directions. Not to mention I doubt they owners would be alright with me taking there violin for the day without paying them.
caeman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, most people will suggest that you should look at the fiddle in person before buying. Barring that option, maybe you could make a deal with either seller for which ever model you choose to try it for a week. You pay them, but they agree to keep the money aside until you are sure the fiddle is in as good of condition as they claim.

Put it in writing. Have all parties sign.

But on the face of it, the seller for the VL presents their fiddle as the better of the two bargains. Also, by identifying the specifics of each thing "brazilwood bow" and "Kun shoulder rest", etc, they also present themselves as a smarter seller.
Gravesen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VL was on craigslist, the Meisel was actualy at a yard sale, but the owner wasn't there so they couldn't tell me much about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: