Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paganinis 24th

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marlinark

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Paganinis 24th Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am a 21 year old violinist working on a major music.
I had never heard of the song Paganinis 24th caprice until I heard form a friend of the try out piece for Juliard.

Well it turns out, this piece is much more difficult to learn than my free mp3 downloads indicated, but, it sound way cool.

Last edited by Marlinark on Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
techfiddle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You auditioned for Juilliard? But you can't spell it? and call a Caprice a "song?" I've met hundreds of Juilliard students and graduates, and don't think a single one would make mistakes like that.

Calling violin works "songs" is one of my pet peeves. A "song" is something which is sung, like an art song, an aria, a country song, a pop song, etc. Symphonies and concertos and sonatas and Caprices are not "songs." Only children -- or people with the mentality and sophistication of children -- make this error. Of course, some people don't feel that language is that important.
http://beststudentviolins.com/Home.html

Last edited by techfiddle on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Amalia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And not to suggest that I'm perfect...

Why of course not. Wink
Marlinark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Very sorry Reply with quote

Before I say any more. I have been doing music for long years and am very familiar with its concept of caprice, I am no music theory or English major, very sorry to offend you.

Leaving on a good note,
"Only Children -- or people with the mentality and sophistication of children -- make this error."

This is a huge logical fallacy of Overgeneralizing, Lol. Truth is you could probably quote Paganini (Along with many other composer) on calling one of their caprices a song. In retrospect I bet you the president of the united states would call Paganini 2th Caprice a song after listening to it (Not to say he is not a child).

Thank you for the fun argument.
('Wink')
John Cadd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paganini`s 24th i have never seen this mentioned before so here goes.If you watch the Heifetz u tube film try to notice the section where he jumps from G string to E string rapidly and see how he cuts the work down by tilting his head left to right and moves his violin angle to get the bow on the string faster. Left head tilt for E string. Right head tilt for G string. This will save about one foot movement of the bow hand in these passages. Not a lot of people know that.
I have grown accustomed to the word song being used.I think computer translation machines started that.Feel glad that people of different cultures are enjoying "western " music without being too picky. I am meticulous----You are pernickety.There is a lot of that on violin sites .Maybe somebody should draw attention to it,and the way it can cause so much offence. I`m done!
Amalia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have grown accustomed to the word song being used.I think computer translation machines started that.Feel glad that people of different cultures are enjoying "western " music without being too picky. I am meticulous----You are pernickety.There is a lot of that on violin sites .Maybe somebody should draw attention to it,and the way it can cause so much offence. I`m done!

I agree. Classical music is not so wildly popular these days that we classical musicians can afford to offend those with interest in the subject. Not to mention that rudeness is just bad character no matter what the subject.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Amalia. I have been thinking of starting a topic about the "nasty"people who play (or played )the violin well.There was a prominent Nazi officer who was assasinated.They always say he was a brilliant player.But what was he expressing? Could we have sensed a coldness in his playing? Then there was Mussolini and he played a Stradivarius.Well ,he would,wouldn`t he?Italian!Let`s see if we can build a list.Some psychologists say that string players are less socially adapted because they spent a lot of time "locked up" practising instead of playing with their friends
How did Menuhin turn out so well?Food for thought.
He`s a violinist-----It doesn`t mean he`s a good person.That turns a well known phrase on it`s head. I bet somebody`s ears are burning right now.
Highlander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its true what you say about expression in the music if you do compile the list, I hope nobody releases the album. Surprised
John Cadd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marlinmark In a way I feel a bit jealous of you because you have the joy of discovering all this music afresh.The first impressions are so valuable and enjoyable.Keep searching to discover all the music you will surely enjoy.
Sometimes if I hear a piece on the wrong instrument the freshness returns before I put it in context and slightly lose something.None of the baggage is attached with the first impression.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: