Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scherl and Roth violin models

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newredsun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Scherl and Roth violin models Reply with quote

I am going to look at a used Scherl and Roth violin.

The owner told me that her parents bought the instrument for her about 8 years ago for $3000.

Her parents live 700 miles from her and the seller has no paper documentation.

Does anyone know what Scherl and Roth models would have sold for that price about a decade ago?

And - would that model info appear somewhere on the interior label or elsewhere on the intstument?

Thanks
techfiddle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one can really help you with this online; you have to take it to a luthier and have it appraised. Look under "violin" in the Yellow Pages.

(6) What is this violin worth?

Unfortunately, unless you encounter the unlikely circumstance that someone reads your post who is intimately acquainted with that particular instrument, no one can determine the value of an instrument based on the name on the label and the year. Even if you have photographs and the label is genuine, the violin has to be held and played, and examined, by hand. The only way that can be done is by taking it to an experienced luthier for an appraisal.

Please see:
Requests to appraise an instrument
http://beststudentviolins.com/Home.html
newredsun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Your advice makes sense; only playing the instrument and expert opinions are reliable means of valuation.

My question went more to the numbering system used for Scherl and Roth models as in the models for students versus those of better grade.

I have seen online S/R models with numbering like R301 AND R302 in the $1200 to $1400 retail range. I was wondering what a model priced twice as high 8 years ago may have been numbered.
techfiddle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might submit this question on Maestronet's Pegbox. There are a lot of eminent luthiers on there who might know.
http://beststudentviolins.com/Home.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: