Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Song" v. work, or piece, etc., Does this bother y
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techfiddle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really not worth arguing about; I was curious to know if it bothered other people. Looks like it bothers a few people, but it doesn't bother most.
http://beststudentviolins.com/Home.html

Last edited by techfiddle on Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
scottlee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Song Reply with quote

I would agree with most of the previous posts, that certain groups (such as music majors) should be responsible for more precise terminology, whereas other groups who aren't familiar with music jargon should be cut a little slack.
The real issue for me is that there shouldn't be that large of a group that isn't familiar with musical jargon. The fact that there are a ton of people who would call a sonata a song just means we have that much more work to do in educating and exposing the world to music! Get on it!

http://www.scottleemusic.info
techfiddle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Song Reply with quote

I don't think I should attempt to impose my own interests in places where they are not welcome. Please accept my apologies. It was inappropriate, and I'm certainly sorry now that I did it.

Last edited by techfiddle on Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
Amalia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
She indicated, by her language, that she was a child.

My logic, such as it is, is this: if you're going to be in a profession, you should honor the people in that profession by using the terms of art correctly.

Okay, first you are saying that she is "a child" (clearly looking down on her as immature) and the next you are saying that she "should honor..." (implying that she is deliberately not giving you the honor you deserve). Which is it?

Obviously she was "young" but not a "child".
Perhaps she was not properly taught by those same professionals that you want her to honor, so perhaps you should be scolding them, not her.
There is NO indication that she was intentionally and deliberately showing disrepect, so, I feel that those who are more experienced and mature should cut those such a her a little slack and either overlook her transgression or correct her gently, without the aire of superiority.
Amalia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I don't think it's your opinion so much as your interpretation. You are interpreting my remarks as an ad hominem criticism of you personally when they are not.

I don't think you personally criticized me, so no offense was taken there. I was not the poster who used the term "song" to refer to a work that is not technically called a "song".
techfiddle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've apologized for this several times; I wish that were sufficient. I really, really really really, didn't mean to offend or hurt anyone's feelings.

Last edited by techfiddle on Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Amalia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I think your website is quite interesting and informative.
techfiddle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalia wrote:
BTW, I think your website is quite interesting and informative.

Well thank you, Amalia. It's very kind of you to say so.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,indeed Amalia ,what you say is not inapposite.( Can you believe anybody would use such a silly phrase? )
My wife hates me to use the word "bunch" What would she make of bunches and bunches?
I should set aside a very rainy day to read all that long letter above.Was that a relation of Hiawatha?
Finally for game ,set and match----Songs without words.------
And stop calling it SOCCER. You`re driving us mental with that one.
Likewise FRANCHISE. Ask Nigel about those two.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margo Schulter`s song was one of the most boring I have ever read.It wants shortened.Two Americanisms for the price of one,but I could give you bunches and bunches if I wanted to.But,Hey,I could care less.
You must learn to love your differences.My young lady dentist comes from Lithuania and she mixes her phrases up all the time.Delicious to hear.I wouldn`t change her for anything.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see what I did there? I mixed up an essay with a song.Isn`t that silly.It`s called a sense of humour.Kryton would not understand that unless you explained it .
Btw what WAS that essay for?This chat is (ok) on a music forum but the topic is about people having hissy fits because somebody put a word in the wrong place.It isn`t a place for a rambling discourse about music theory.
And does all that hot air make you a better musician.Can you compose a Symphony when you have digested all that?
Can an Art expert paint like Picasso if he studies enough.Fat chance.
Bottom line---that essay--If that was the first chapter of a novel would the publisher bother with page 2 ?---Even fatter chance.
Surely it is just an exercise in vanity.
Amalia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! or: BWHAHAHA! not sure that's correct English though. humm. Or hmmmm rather.
techfiddle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the kind of stuff I'm talking about (see below). You have to think this is funny; if you don't, you have no sense of humor:

• Open Question: What is the name of this violin music? I don't know where it's from or how to explain it but it sounds dramatic. Any guesses you might have would be helpful. =] (Ed. note: no link included in question)

• Open Question: need a new classical violin song to learn. any suggestions? Just for background: ive been playing for 12 years. some songs im learning are : bach partita III, bruch concerto, mozart concerto V, rode caprices

• Open Question: songs for the violin? ok well i dont take violin lessons any more cuz my skool doesnt have them so i was wondering if anyone new any websites with songs on them but no too hard ons and not too easy thx!!!!!

from Humorous Questions
http://beststudentviolins.com/Quik_FAQ.html#Humor

Note: In case anyone cares to suggest that these are anecdotal examples, that would be true if these examples were evident only a few times in every few days. But let me disabuse you of that notion. YahooAnswers has a function whereby you can request an RSS feed on a word or phrase. I have RSS feeds on violin, viola, piano, orchestra and musicology. There are hundreds of such ill-conceived missives, every single day.

Does it bother me that most people appear not to be able to spell, follow simple rules of grammar, or think logically? There's not much I can do about it, so no.

Does it bother you?
Highlander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't bother me colloquially, I wouldn't expect everybody to carry a dictionary with them. I would expect professionals to use correct terminology at all times. When a piece has a relevant description, it distinguishes it from other pieces with close similarities. A professional musician, when teaching, should help the pupil (me), to understand correct musical terms from day one, so when in a situation with strangers we would all understand each other. An exception would be teaching children where a general term could be used; the learning is still fun and not overbearing on the childs vocabulary.
techfiddle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highlander wrote:
It doesn't bother me colloquially, I wouldn't expect everybody to carry a dictionary with them. I would expect professionals to use correct terminology at all times. When a piece has a relevant description, it distinguishes it from other pieces with close similarities. A professional musician, when teaching, should help the pupil (me), to understand correct musical terms from day one, so when in a situation with strangers we would all understand each other. An exception would be teaching children where a general term could be used; the learning is still fun and not overbearing on the childs vocabulary.

Well that's exactly right. These things are called "terms of art" and I agree that understanding them should be a part of one's training.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: