Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Song" v. work, or piece, etc., Does this bother y
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ollieken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Not a snob Reply with quote

Amalia I am with you enjoy what you are playing & do the best you can .
If I was playing as a pro It would cost you money to hear me play
Not a snob Ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Cadd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techfiddle I have to chime in with you about spelling.That side of the internet shocked me when I first began with computers.What really bothers me now is a message that makes no sense at all.The sentences are not put together in a normal way.They ramble on and if you ever read Ullyses by James Joyce ,well that would be a holiday in comparison. Is this an American trend? What are the English teachers doing? At the same time you have to feel sympathy for the aspiring music makers crying in the wilderness.Perhaps America is just too big.
We always learned that Shakespeare understood the nature of mankind.With the coming of the Internet maybe the horrors that are revealed beneath the stone are the true nature of mankind. :?
Amalia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a member of several English Language forums and we all have a good time correcting each other there, but on music sites I'm very happy to overlook the typing, grammar and spelling flaws of others. I choose to assume that they are not great typists, or were in a hurry, or that English is not their first language, or whatever. I'm here to share thoughts about a subject I love (music), not to critique the writing skills of other posters.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalia I know what you mean about typing skills and spelling up to a point.I began to think more about the comments section attached to classical music u tube recordings where even the most famous and respected artists are treated with abuse and insults.This seems to be improving lately as they have tightened up the procedure for making comments.That was where the "beneath the stone " comment came from. The harshness of the comments between the contributors makes it easy to see how wars start.It reminds me of a thing my Dad would say: "The human being is the most dangerous animal on the planet".
techfiddle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't mean to offend people; it's just the teacher in me, I guess.
http://beststudentviolins.com/Home.html

Last edited by techfiddle on Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Amalia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Amalia I know what you mean about typing skills and spelling up to a point.I began to think more about the comments section attached to classical music u tube recordings where even the most famous and respected artists are treated with abuse and insults.This seems to be improving lately as they have tightened up the procedure for making comments.That was where the "beneath the stone " comment came from. The harshness of the comments between the contributors makes it easy to see how wars start.It reminds me of a thing my Dad would say: "The human being is the most dangerous animal on the planet".

I think a lot of people find it entertaining to get on the internet and bicker and criticize and exercize zero self-restraint. Hey, these people are all strangers to them so what do they have to lose? Unfortunately that ruins it for everyone else. As I posted on another thread, I have had my own active and growing board now for several years. The first few months were great, until the troublemakers got on board. After the first year I shut the board down for a day and deleted over 100 members and banned their IP numbers and email addresses. Then I instituted a method of personally screening new members, and I also recruited 3 moderators to watch over the board if I wasn't on-line. All my moderators are told to delete rude posts and notify me so I can ban troublemakers. This has worked wonders and my board has grown and prospered. I usually have over 100 active threads daily and almost never have to ban a member any more.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techfiddle I thought we were all basically on the same wavelength.What happened? We come in peace.
Amalia - I am still a bit curious about the "song" word.Do you think it was deliberately changed the way "wicked" suddenly appeared as a positive word? There is another tendency now to alter the stresses ,eg parDON instead of PARdon .Is it a generation thing?
Have you had any fun with Chinglish?Some of that is amazing.
Amalia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinglish? I must not have heard that yet. Smile

I have no idea how "song" got to where it is now. I would guess that most of those who grew up listening to pop music on the radio (and were not trained in the correct terminology for classical music), just assume that any piece of music (especially any short piece) can be referred to as a "song".

For my part, on a board like this one where the members are not all "classical" violinists and many are self-taught, beginners, or more interested in fiddle style, I don't think it matters one bit whether we call a piece by it's "correct" term or not. Let's just have fun!

And btw, I love hearing from all types of violinists and with any level of training.
techfiddle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sense is that there's just an incredible lack of communication and it's a shame. I'm sorry

Last edited by techfiddle on Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
ollieken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Fed Up Reply with quote

On the violin making forum we have some of the best people to answer
your post on problum`s you may have with violin making . A while back one
got fedup with coments like yours Tecfiddle & he stoped posting & we lost
great replys on problum`s with violin repair & making . He is back
now after about a year & glad to have him back . Let not get into that
here . I wont be reading any more post from (TecViolin-Fiddle ). Ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
techfiddle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fed Up Reply with quote

ollieken wrote:
On the violin making forum we have some of the best people to answer
your post on problum`s you may have with violin making . A while back one
got fedup with coments like yours Tecfiddle & he stoped posting & we lost
great replys on problum`s with violin repair & making . He is back
now after about a year & glad to have him back . Let not get into that
here . I wont be reading any more post from (TecViolin-Fiddle ). Ken

I do apologize; it's not fair for me to try to impose my tastes and interests in places where they're not welcome. I'm very sorry. I won't do this any longer.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalia Have you looked up Chinglish yet? This is a rich source of comical mistakes when Chinese translate their language for our convenience. Next to that is a similar "makeshift bridge "between English and Japanese.----Engrish.
This reminds me of a thing my daughter said when she was very small as we were putting her to bed. "Turn the dark on".
John Cadd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techfiddle I thought about you 2 days ago.There was a recital on the radio of a Brandenburg Concerto played with viols instead of violins. If the announcer had not made a special mention of this I would have been none the wiser. I was delighted with the warm sound. For the average man in the street it is a rarity to hear something like that. I remember we swopped comments connected to viols some time back. As you are a teacher you may smile when I tell you what my music teacher at school said about our class one day ---"Pearls before swine". I`m sure he wasn`t referring to me.
Amalia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Yes I did look up Chinglish. And even before I looked it up I thought, "Maybe it's that funny language that the instructions come in when you buy a piece of electronic gadgetry made in China." I'll post some real examples the next time we order something. It's a hoot!

"Turn the dark on" is really cute. The other day after our huge dog came bounding into the room, I overheard my youngest boy comment that "now the room was filled up with dog". I thought he meant that the room was now crowded, but it turned out he was referring to the SMELL! Oy!

P.S. My german grandmother spent over 75 years in the USA but never learned to say "turn" the light on. She preferred "make" the light on. LOL! I think she enjoyed the attention she got when a chorus of "TURN the light on" rose up around her each time she said it.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalia ,Now you`ve got me worried.Big dog--small boy.A little 4 year old on the news has just been killed by the family dog.Can you imagine --4 years old .Sorry to spoil the topic there.It`s a bit of a special day today .I have been reading everything about tuning bridges and fitting sound posts. Today I refitted the first violin I ever made--the Guarnerius with crooked f-holes.It sounds fantastic.Woody---Crystaline--Golden .It has a very strong character.I haven`t played that one for a while.It woujd be insane to sell your first one.That goes to my daughter..Unfortunately she doesn`t play. Schon Rosmarin sounds specially good .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: