Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there a "correct" way to position your chin...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amalia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Is there a "correct" way to position your chin... Reply with quote

I am in the habit of positioning my chin on the chin rest so that I am looking more or less straight down the fingerboard (at least straighter then most other players seem to). I assume I first acquired this habit in my youth while attempting to look at my fingers and bow hairs (to check for THEIR correct positioning). No teacher has ever commented to me about it.

One advantage to this position is that I don't get that brown spot on the jaw that many players do. My eyes no longer focus close enough to see much that is going on with my fingers and bow, so that advantage (for learning at least) has gone by the wayside.

If I change to the more common position, with the side of my jaw more on the chin rest rather then the corner of my chin, I find that the instrument sounds much louder to my ear and also that the positioning of my bow arm in particular seem affected. The main advantage as far as I can currently tell, is that the violin is more out of the way of the sheet music when I play.

So, am I missing some other advantage? Should I attempt to switch, or no?

Last edited by Amalia on Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
techfiddle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that you didn't address this to me, in particular, but it's difficult to determine how to evaluate your hold of the violin without a photograph or video. There are just too many factors to consider. One would have to see your arm length, the shape of your fingers, the configuration of your hand, your shoulder width, the length of your neck, etc.

I am concerned that you develop a "violin hickey" when you hold the instrument in an alternative way (alternative to your usual way). Here is some information about that, and some photographs of chin rests which may help:

What on earth is a "Violin Hickey"?

I use a Strad pad with my violin and a Wittner chin rest on my viola. I've never had a violin hickey, oddly enough, through many years of playing six or more hours a day. I think it is because I am so strong physically, and so tall. Built like my dad, lucky for me.
http://beststudentviolins.com/Home.html
Amalia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never gotten a violin hickey, I assume because I don't rest my jaw on the chin rest, but rather the corner of my chin. My daughter does get one when she goes for long periods without using her Strad pad.

On the subject of chins and pads, can you recomend a good shoulder pad for young children using 1/2 and 3/4 size violins? Preferably one that does not continually fall off, positions the violin correctly, and is comfortable.

Last edited by Amalia on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
techfiddle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalia wrote:
I have never gotten one, I assume because I don't rest my jaw on the chin rest, but rather the corner of my chin. My daughter does get one when she goes for long periods without using her Strad pad.

On the subject of chins and pads, can you recomend a good shoulder pad for young children using 1/2 and 3/4 size violins? Preferably one that does not continually fall off, positions the violin correctly, and is comfortable.

I think you could get a KUN for both of those sizes, but make sure it's adjusted well. For smaller sizes I have them get a KinderChinder, and then also sometimes put a small (soft) sponge under it, as well. See:

http://beststudentviolins.com/survival.html#shoulderrests

However, the KUN is admittedly a pain for children; the darn things cost a lot and the child is apt to lose it if you don't take care. Still, I can't think of anything that works better or lasts longer.

I get all my students to have some sort of canvas music bag, and they can put the KUN in there. The KUN doesn't fit in shaped cases, and may get broken if it's forced into a fitted case. Even the oblong cases can be a problem, the cheap cases.
http://beststudentviolins.com/Home.html
Amalia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, the KUN is admittedly a pain for children; the darn things cost a lot and the child is apt to lose it if you don't take care.

We lost a shoulder pad to the dog a couple of days ago, thankfully it was not one of my Kuns. I used to have a collapsible Kun, but I don't think they make them for kids (not sure if they make them for adults anymore either). I liked the collapsible feature because it fit in my case. My current personal shoulder rest is one of those carbon fibre ones (not sure what they are called). I turn it upside down and tuck it under the neck of my violin at an angle, in order to fit it in my case as it doesn't quite fit in the compartment.

My kids don't take their instruments anywhere very often so fitting the shoulder pad in the case is not a major issue here.
Shirley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalia ~ have I ever told you of the solution to the "falling off shoulder rest" that my teacher (via her teacher) showed me - rubber bands?

Just regular size bands - 3+ inches long - hooked around the feet of the rest, and then snapped over the corner of the lower bout. Works like a charm. Most of my violin/viola playing friends now use this method of securing the shoulder rest. (I use black rubber bands, which can hardly be detected.)

Some fun, huh? Shirley
Amalia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm writing that down Shirley. That will be great for my kids. My youngest comes to me about 3 times every time he plays, asking me to help him put his shoulder pad back on. OY!

Where do you get black rubber bands?
Musicalion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: comfortable shoulderpads that don't fall off Reply with quote

Michael Kimber's Polypad is a foam pad that is shaped to fit the shoulder and is held on by rubber bands. It's the only shoulderpad I've been able to find for my viola that doesn't fall off!
http://m_kimber.tripod.com/mkpolypad.html
each with preview page and audio file
also provide websites for musicians
Amalia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eve. That looks like it would be great for kids.
Amalia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the hardest time finding a shoulder rest for myself that really fit me. My neck is long and nothing was high enough. I did use a foam pad for awhile but ended up with something finally.

The kids pads usually don't fit close enough to the child's neck, or they rub on the collar bone, or they keep falling off, or something. A foam pad might work well. The rubber band arrangement looks like a pain in the neck to put on but it looks like it can't fall off at least!
Shirley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalia - I'm having trouble finding black rubber bands myself now, having given so many away that I'm running out. On the web there are many different colors, but the company from which I got mine originally doesn't sell them any more. Googling may help. But plain manila bands aren't very noticeable, either.

Like you, I, too, have a long neck, and filling up the space is difficult. Higher shoulder rests don't seem to be the comfortable answer. Just this evening I raised my chin rest by placing felt (I couldn't find cork today -I'll keep looking) under where it rests on the top of the viola, augmenting the cork that is already there. it seems a lot better already, and should be perfect when I get it done right.

I appreciate all the hints I get here - I'm always hoping that with the "perfect" set up, I will magically play better!

Shirley
Amalia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirley, this is the one that I finally found that works for me:

http://www.amazon.com/Kun-Voce-Violin-Shoulder-Rest/dp/B0009JQCAE

It's the Kun Voce Violin Shoulder Rest. My kids all think it's cool because it is made of carbon fiber, but I just like it because it works. I'm really not sure why it works better than all the other Kun's I've had, but it does. It doesn't keep falling off my violin either, and it's easy to adjust and lock into place. It's pricey, but hey, you only need one. (Just keep it away form the dog.) Wink
Shirley

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalia - the Voce shoulder rest is one I have been interested in for a while, and am glad to hear that it would be a good choice for my physique, but they don't make it for violas! I hope, soon. Thanks for the review! Shirley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: