Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Radio presentation of classical music.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Radio presentation of classical music. Reply with quote

This is a cry of protest at the way classical music is presented on radio in Britain today. Mainly I would point the finger at Classic F M which has decided that most advertising on this channel will be reserved for POSH PEOPLE.
In the middle of a financial disaster the adverts dribble out of the radio for expensive skiing holidays to exclusive resorts around the world. Fine wines are lovingly and nausiatingly described.All the worst and most sickening aspects of snobbery are given full reign.
Have the presenters never heard the phrase "over acting"? Do they not know the word "gushing"? Am I the only person in the world that is so revolted by the cloying praise heaped on a composer by a lady announcer who cannot pronounce the composer`s name and has obviously never heard any of his music? The enthusiasm only inspired by the chance of a fat cheque from an advertiser.
Obviously any established musicians will not risk their livelihood by criticising a large media organisation but let me know what you think as a listener.
Tell me what you think of chopping up musical masterpieces to use for advertising jingles.
Shirley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummm. I can understand your aversion to the advertising on your classical FM station. The only classical music station based here in Colorado (USA) is a Public Broadcasting Station, and while they may occasionally go on and on (and on and on and on) trying to raise operating funds, there is no advertising as such. And the announcers are without exception extremely knowledgeable.

Perhaps the advertising on your FM station is the result of advertisers believing that classical music is mostly listened to by educated, professional, POSH people, thus they find such music stations a good way to contact these people? It is not universally true that POSH people are the only ones who appreciate classical music, but you must admit that it takes more thoughtfulness and perhaps education to like such multi-dimensional music, as compared, for instance, to much of the popular music of the day. The introduction to the arts is often to people with leisure time - i.e., the more affluent.

It would be nifty if appreciation of all the arts could be more democratic.

We do receive at least one classical music station through the web, and their loud advertising spiels for anything but genteel products are pretty annoying.

As for advertising jingles...hey, a good tune is a catchy tune. Usually, it seems, those bits used for selling are such popular tunes, dare I say hackneyed by this time, that one need not associate the words with the tune forever more. Popular songs of yore are a different matter - "Full Moon and Empty Arms..." Arrrgh. They do tend to ruin a tune for ever.

I enjoyed reading your post - gives us all a chance to vent! Is there a web address for the particular FM station you are referring to? I'd like to give it a listen. (It isn't BBC 3, is it?)

Cheers! Shirley
John Cadd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: radio music Reply with quote

Shirley .The radio station is Classic F M .There is an old 2006 site discussing reception around the world.I find it amazing that they can talk about listening illegally. The idea seems laughable.
That is on Jonathan Rawles Website.
I forgot to mention my unfavourite announcers` habit of leaping in with a silly loud jokey comment after some blissfully peaceful music.The best presentation was on Radio Three.There was always a respectful pause and silence which they judged very expertly.
The music itself is top quality .The fact of advertising is not really the problem.The clumsy insensitive style of it is the thing.
Without a pause and having a continuous stream of music can leave you with a kind of musical exhaustion.
It`s good to get all this off my chest.
For even worse radio presentation you may like to try Radio 5 Live which is a BBC topical grown-up chat program.The constant traffic updates by noisy nasal lady presenters with the most horrible Essex accents and just plain bad pronunciation are literally a turn-off.
To balance things out I once planned to record a late night weather lady who had the voice of an Angel.But the next day a man was doing the job. RRRRRRR .
Shirley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amezcua ~ I am on my way to try to find those irritating stations on the web. Don't ask me why, I suppose I'm just curious. I understand, though - there is one announcer here where I just have to turn the radio off when he's talking. It is strange how we respond to voices, though we do so more when we can't see the speaker, as on radio, when all we get is the voice.

I think your post must speak for many. If I succeed in finding the radio stations in question, I'll be back. In the meantime, here's to sensitive, knowledgeable announcers!

Shirley
Shirley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amezcua ~ just a comment - we were able to find Classic FM (the London station) on the web, and I must say that the advertising was much more and longer than I expected - I wouldn't listen if I had a choice.

AND, after a bit, there was the announcement that you mentioned; we were told (although we were indeed listening) that we couldn't. Legally, I think. Weird.

I'm assuming that BBC Radio 3, which I see referred to all the time in Music Magazine, is not quite so commercial?

This was all very interesting.

Shirley
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirley
Well done to find the station.Radio Three has an announcer called Rob Cowan who must be a "soul mate" or something as I love every piece of music he chooses.No matter what he chooses it always hits the spot. And no adverts at all. Other announcers completely the opposite.How fortunate there is so much to choose from.
Do you watch the BBC i player programmes that stay on line for about a week? One of my special favourites is Argumental which is not musical but insanely funny.
If you like a Scottish accent try Nicky Campbell on Radio Five Live which is on about 7am to 9 am.A brilliant quick sense of humour.
Would that be called a Heads up for Naughty Listeners?
John Cadd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are restrictions to listening and viewing that I never knew existed.That` s really sad.Once the new technology settles down the small payments won`t be a problem.America needs more of our English programs.Well ,the good ones anyway.I use a sattelite tv dish to see foreign channels and there is a tiny,tiny amount of classical music to see. I was very lucky to see the Polish violin competition which I almost tripped over.I could have missed it all.
Agatha Symcewska (think that`s the spelling) won it .No subtitles though.
Amalia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest complaint about Classical music stations is that they often just identify the piece by name BEFORE they play it and not after. So if I hear something I like and want to know what it is....wooops! Too late!

As far as the advertizing goes, if it keeps the station in business I'm happy. Here in Michigan, all our Classical stations have gone out of business for lack of advertizers. Somebody has got to pay for this and if donations aren't doing it then it has to be advertizers, so I don't care if they are advertizing expensive cars or pizza, just advertize please!
John Cadd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalia
You are in the market for a new digital radio.The new models have a rewind button built in.Just what you have been waiting for.
Oh yes ,while we`re talking radios ,the Radio Three program that you could always rely on for some decent orchestral music will quite often be churning out some World Music played on tin cans and bamboo flutes , just when I fancy some Mozart.Then again a concert on tv replaying a Prom Concert-------Film Music.UUUUH. Every other channel is drowning in Pop music.Why do that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: