Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iffy G bugs my life

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Highlander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: iffy G bugs my life Reply with quote

I'm not looking for a solution to this, as its O.K. most of the time. For a bit of fun,I just wondered if anybody else has a problem much the same, although any good advice is always helpful. Smile
When I do a G major scale the third finger in the first position sometimes is a little sharp, on the D string. I warm up a little, play a while then there it is; the iffy G Sad . It can appear from nowhere like a stalker waiting to spring out with no warning. The worst time it can happen is when I play a longer note, it just sounds terrible. Its not my strings, its not my violin, its definitely my playing. I know just have to keep practicing the scale, then confidently, know it will have gone(oh! iffy G please be gone). as a musician does anyone else have a part of their playing that bugs them.
Highlander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or used to and worked a way to solve them, it could be helpful to other players and beginners. I found that continually practicing (for about half an hour) in first position, along with my keyboard playing the scale.Also shifting the violin slightly more to look down the fingerboard has made me more confident to rely on this note. sort of drilling it into my memory.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highlander Do you notice it and carry on ,or stop and repair the damage.Try to carefully repeat six times just that group of notes before and after.Do it slowly.If you wince at a note out of tune you have a good ear.Let that encourage you.
You must have big hands compared to me.I always had flat note problems.Is your violin too small? Have you tried a Viola?
Highlander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Amezcua
I dont have a problem with the size of the violin, I suppose it may be that I played guitar and bass guitar previously and only had the violin out for a fool around a couple of times a month. It could be that the wider spacing is whats making my memory automatically move my third finger further up than required. I do not play guitar anymore, as I suspected that it would affect what I am trying to achieve with the violin, also I have two violins and no viola. I first thought of playing the violin as a first instrument in january and have been playing, albeit rather roughly since May. I have a teacher who I see once every two weeks (I have now had 4 half hour lessons) and have been progressing since then. Thank you for your concern and I will take your advice on board. I will play a peice of music in my practice sessions that uses this note quite often. Then I can move on (hopefully without the iffy G Smile )
Highlander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iffy G no more
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: