Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

top 2 strings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Highlander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: top 2 strings Reply with quote

When I restrung my violin 3 months ago, I put the cheapest set of strings on I could find (astrea) just for the sake of learning my fingering. 3 weeks ago, I changed the G and D to Thomastik dominant and got a good improvement in quality of tone and playability. I think I made a good choice. Does anyone have any suggestions for my A and E strings as mistakes can be expensive. I prefer classical tones to traditional, I wont hold anyone personally responsible for my final preferred choice Surprised

thanks.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highlander For your E string get Pirastro Alumuminium wound.
Violin strings are always pricier than guitar but Pirastro are always good.Their A strings are good too but especially the E.Some rosin is good for lower notes but a bit fierce for high notes.Not always a problem though.Just something to think about.
Highlander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks amezcua
the aluminium was something I was thinking about. I think Im still favouring the Thomastik for the A. the astrea D was like a bit of fence wire compared to the Thomastik. I have a german strad copy thats about 100 years old, however I think I will use the old strings on what I think is a scots fiddle, that is in need of a bit of cleaning up.
Shirley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highlander - do you by any chance have a "Roth" violin from the time you mentioned? From that era, they can be VERY good. In which case, you are right to try to put better strings on it.

You put Dominants on it, perhaps? Those are the standard to which other strings are compared, for tone and quality, and are a good compromise between and quality and price. They are quite popular.

The Thomastik, either Dominants or their student strings are a good investment.

Amezcua is right concerning getting higher quality E strings in particular - a good string can minimize the squealing that is too common on that string. All instrumentalists have their crosses to bear Laughing

Shirley
Highlander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shirley/Amezcua
I got two new strings today. I chose a dominanat A, as I felt that I needed to try and keep a similarity of tone, volume and resonance across the instrument. I explained my situation, and violin to the music shop I was in today, and the salesman suggested a Pirastro, Evah Pirazzi Gold. Not only do the strings sound a great deal better, the gold looks great, (hey, Wink ). I also got some Pirastro string cleaner, it works really well as it takes the rosin build up off the strings in one wipe. I am not sure what this violin is, the only recognition I have of it, is the label says "Stradivarius copy, made in Germany". and I inherited it from my Grandfather. I have cleaned it up, put a new bridge and fine tuners on it. I also fitted new ebony pegs on the violin, also a tailgut and end button. I would have had a luthier fit the pegs but finances dont stretch at the moment. ( I was careful, took me six hours). Thank you for your suggestions, they helped me make up my mind, I am now going to rehearse for the rest of the night, Ive got my lesson on Thursday. Farewell.
Shirley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful! The gold Pirastro E is a great string, I'm told, and was wondering if your budget was up to it - I'm so glad you went that route - you won't be disappointed. I used Evahs for years, and am now experimenting a bit with other strings for my fairly new older viola.

And how nifty that you have your grandfather's violin. You certainly have done well by it! I hope you tell us what your teacher thinks of the sound of your new strings. (I have a lesson tomorrow, too - the viola. Good luck to both of us!)

Shirley
Highlander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Shirley,
lets hope that I can do justice to the strings on Thursday, although with only having taken a bigger interest in the violin recently I think it will take a little while yet until I realise through touch how good my investment was. I still think that for anybody who is starting from scratch (yeowch). the astrea is the string to buy until your playing does improve enough to make a significant difference.
Hope your viola lesson goes well.
Highlander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shirley/amezcua

My lesson went well, although I was a bit flustered when I got there, my car ran out of petrol and I had to cycle for more. which meant the hour I I was planning before my lesson was gone.
My teacher did say that my instrument was beginning to sound more like a violin now, and that I was sounding a lot smoother and had improved a lot since last time. It had been four weeks since my last lesson though.
How are you doing with your viola.
Shirley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highlander - your ran our of gasoline on your way to your lesson, rode your bike and got more, and then continued on to your lesson? That's dedication! It sounds as though your teacher were supportive of your efforts towards upgrading the sound of your instrument.

It does seem as though your violin is one of the "machine made" German instruments of the era - when you get better playing, you may even want ot put that instrument away gingerly, for future generations, and get yourself a new violin - when finances allow, of course.

Thanks for returning with the news of how your lesson went, and what your teacher thought..."Yeoch" and all! Smile

(My lesson wasn't so great, and I didn't even have the excuse of a difficult travel time getting there!)

I'd love to hear further how things go. (I love it in Scotland - I've been there twice, and it is so like Colorado (my home) in many ways. Except you have water...)

Shirley
Highlander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi shirley
I have now got my first position sorted out as well, and I was glad to be able to throw my suzuki book 1 to the back of the pile and move on.It was good for me to learn the fingering from the book but it was bad for learning notation. I end up reading numbers instead of notes. In discussion with my teacher I am going to start learning new peices now, and sticking to rehearsing scales.
as the string dilemma has since passed. I will let you know how the future goes on another thread.
Shirley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highlander - it sounds as though things are going great! Wonderful. Please be sure to keep us apprised!

Shirley
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highlander This is something for you to think about when you learn scales. Just sticking to Major scales for a second-----The pattern of note spacing is always the same and if you start a scale with your finger ( ie not with an open string ) the pattern will be easier to remember as you don`t use the open notes as a prop.The starting position on the neck is not important for this idea.You will find that the only difference as you move up the neck is the fingers will get closer together.See what I mean.Obviously you need to start in specific places when practising properly but it`s the gaps between the notes you need to think about,and of course whether they sound right.
Always be listening. If something sounds horrid it means you have a strong desire for improvement .You have enough good taste to realise that.You just need to find the solution, or the exact spacing. Also ,as you progress, you will find in some keys that an open string will not fit exactly .It will sound a bit wrong.This is not the players fault.It`s more a matter of physics.On a guitar you just have to accept what the guitar is made like.On a violn you will be able to adapt for that key.Plusses and minuses.
Highlander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.
Amezcua, I realise what you mean about the open strings and the tone.
shortening a thicker string does make a difference.

Shirley I also realise what you are saying about the general comparisons of the dominant string. When I started playing guitar I used cathedral strings until they were unavailable in Edinburgh. Then I tried loads of others. Mostly my dads old used strings. The most popular string in music shops in Edinburgh at the time were rotosound. these could be the equivelant of terms of comparison to todays dominants on violin. and I didnt like them. Money permitting I will find a string that I will stay with as the dominant does have a dullish sound where it could be a lot brighter, especially the lower end of the tone spectrum. I like the brightness of the pirastro so I will keep that in mind when I go to buy new strings in future, Through time it is possible I will end up with a varied set of my own preference.
Of course I would be thankful of any advice you could give.
Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: