Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

having trouble reaching the G string cleanly?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
violinguy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: having trouble reaching the G string cleanly? Reply with quote

Sort of new to violin, (few months) and having trouble reaching the G string smoothly. I can get there but not with great ease. Can you help? Thanks.

vg
Highlander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you had this problem before, have you stopped playing for a while. and it has returned.
violinguy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I stopped for about a year and recently picked it up again. Thanks.

vg
Highlander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im still practicing first position scales at the moment. Best way I can think of is to keep practicing G Major on the bottom string. Even though your brain thinks its playing the correct notes your fingers have forgot. Your muscle memory will be different from when you played before. Dont give up keep practicing for at least half an hour a day.
miamia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you have played before this may be irrelevant but are you moving your arm/elbow as well as your wrists? G requires move elbow movement to the front than the other strings.
techfiddle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way of thinking about this (I believe this is from Galamian, at least it was told to me by Robert Davidovici, a Galamian student and my teacher in graduate school):

The left hand operates like an old-fashioned pump-handle (on a well), and there are seven levels of the arm: one for each string and one for G/D, D/A and A/E (double stops on two strings). So on the G String your arm must be rather high, compared to the other strings. I hope this idea helps.

What you have to focus on is the "sounding point" or "point of contact." This is the exact place where the bow hair touches the string; the sound emanates from this point, and must be controlled by a combination of the second joint of the index finger on the bow hand and the weight of the hand, bow and arm.

The sounding point may be compared to the diaphragm, with respect to singing; the sound comes from there, and this is where the artist will focus their effort to control the sound.

An ancillary concept is the notion of "weight versus pressure." The result of pressure is poor sound quality; using weight, rather than pressure, will result in less crunchy, freer sound. The bow hand should be a collection of springs (idea from Isaac Stern). Think of "spinning" the sound out, from that point, and of course the bow must be absolutely parallel between the end of the fingerboard and the bridge. (On the "Kreisler" highway, in Suzuki parlance.)

Sound production on the violin is a very subtle, elegant thing to accomplish, and not an easy thing to learn on one's own, I would suggest.
http://beststudentviolins.com/Home.html
violinguy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your detailed reply . I am taking lessons. Thanks.

vg
John Cadd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Violinguy I can understand what you are feeling as I have gone through the return to playing after a break. (strictly speaking a dislocated shoulder ). Any set of muscles will develop a length to suit the most common activities .Muscles change their tension also.By any standards the violin demands a very unusual position and the body needs a little help to get the shoulder and arm muscles stretched out and toned up at the right length .When you return to playing your body is fighting itself.Compare what is happening to wearing an overall coat that is two sizes too small. Every time you reach for something the material is pulling your arm back and restricting movements.
If you ever have a frozen shoulder ( me again) the physiotherapist
will show you how to stretch some large muscles out to their proper length. In your situation you can use all those techniques without the pain. You see a lot of the type of stretching needed when footballers do their pre match stretches before running on the pitch.
BTW it`s football not soccer.
You can see the difference in muscle length if you ask a violinist to compare their hands .Left hand muscles between thumb and fingers are longer . Thumb tip to middle finger tip can easily be an inch wider. 2 or 3 minute regular stretches are what the physio would recommend.
NB Do not include any joints in the stretching habit.Muscles can be stretched,but not joints.
Your main muscle stretches will be back ,shoulder ,triceps ( back of upper arm) pectorals ,all forearm muscles (which are the ones that move the fingers up and down) and finally the little hand muscles that decide if you need a tone or a semitone.Best leave them alone.
Just keep your hands warm.That`s why Russians and Poles are so good---They HAVE to wear gloves! Good luck.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here`s a practical way to stretch the triceps muscle.)That`s the back of the upper arm.Wear a wooly jumper for this so your arm will slide against the wardrobe.Stand near a tall wardrobe and put your left arm up so your hand is behind your ear and palm facing down.Now press the elbow against the door to get the stretch.Also press your head left against your hand to increase the pull on all the strong stubborn muscles.Girls don`t have this problem usually.---Much more flexible.
While you do this for about 3 minutes (no more than that) you will learn what muscles are involved .You can feel the pectoral muscles (across the chest) dragging the shoulder down and resisting your efforts.Do this exercise 3 or 4 times a day and you will soon feel the difference. Look up these muscles in wikipedia to learn all about it.
This down to earth "muscle" subject is not often mentioned in violin magazines.Menuhin once thought it would be good to describe his occupation on his passport as "Manual Labourer".
John Cadd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

violinguy
I have put a few tips on the other topic about small hands.You may find that useful too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: