Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
violinguy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: How long? Reply with quote

Till you started producing sounds that were pleasing to the ear and others? Thanks.

vg
techfiddle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with a good teacher, the initial study of the violin usually sounds pretty awful. Students normally start sounding better in a few months, however, and it progresses forward from that point.

I am reminded always of the humorous remark in Galamian's book, cautioning teachers that they should not be impatient with students, who frequently develop at very different rates. However, he wrote, one "cannot start a fire where no flammable material exists."
http://beststudentviolins.com/Home.html
miamia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what exactly you mean by pleasing. After a couple weeks I was able to play with much less squeeks/screeches and relatively in tune, very slowly though. Within a month I played very simple duets. However, I have a musical background and never used tapes on the fingerboard.

I am at about 2.5 months now and definitely am not satisfied with the way I sound. To my own ears, I do not sound "pleasing" to hear. However, I'm likely comparing to my own advanced playing in another instrument and used to listening to musical playing. Most people listening to my pieces do not have a problem, especially if they are not familiar with the piece.

Everyone learns at a different pace but as one learning, I understand wanting to gauge your own progress. I suggest following other people's progress / blogs / recordings. If you have started playing yourself, record your own playing and get feedback others in addition to asking your teacher. I started my own blog to make sure I continue progressing forward.
Amalia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, a lot depends on the teacher and also on the determination of the student to get that nice sound. Few teachers focus on a good tone in the very beginning. They probably feel the student will become discouraged if they can't play a "song" right away, so they focus on learning to finger the different notes, regardless of how poorly they sound.

Although I've been playing on and off for about 50 years, I still start out by playing one open string repeatedly, until I get my bow hand/arm just how I want it, and I am producing the "sound" I want.

Try it. Just draw the bow slowly across the A string. FEEL the hairs on the strings. FEEL if it is even and steady (good). FEEL if it is slipping or bouncing or squeaking (bad). LOOK to see that your bow is remaining perpendicular to the string from frog to tip. LISTEN for any scratching or less than beautiful sound (hint: usually that means your bow is not straight). There's much more, but if you are looking for beautiful tone, it's the bow hand that is responsible. Very Happy
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of different rosins on sale now.The expensive ones are for soloists and give less "noise".
I think beginners need that type of help as well. Why wait till you are famous? Look up all the rosin sites and you will find one that gives less grating and a cleaner sound.
Avoid a rosin if it is also suitable for cellos or basses.
Clean off the rosin you have already on the hair with a drop off methylated spirits.Clean the strings too.Then start again.When you clean the hair like this wait till the next day for it to dry completely.
And a Happy Christmas to one and all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: