Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recent Concerts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Highlander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Recent Concerts Reply with quote

I was amazed nobody has started a recent concerts thread so here is one
Highlander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to The Queens Hall in Edinburgh to see Meadows Chamber Orchestra perform

Bach Brandenburg Concerto No3 inG
Stravinsky Concerto in D for string orchestra
Bach Violin Concerto in A minor
Bach Brandenburg Concerto No1 in F
Stravinsky Concertino for 12 instruments
Bach Violin Concerto in E

The latter two being my favourites of the night.
Alexander Janiczek was violin soloist and played the on loan 1716 `Baron Oppenheim' Stradivarius it really was a special evening.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any concert with a Stradivarius is special .That sounds a wonderful evening all round.Did you notice the players smiling as they played. Always a good sign. I bet it was packed out.
Highlander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a really bright and graceful performance of all pieces. The orchestra did have some standout characters. The Stradivarius was completely different in tone to the Dolphin Strad that I heard Akiko Suwannai play Carmen Fantasy at the proms; which I have recorded. The Dolphin seemed deeper and richer compared to the Baron Oppenheim, which was perfectly suited to Bach's music with the softer, more elegant sound. It could also be the big difference between players and preferred styles. I had never heard any Starvinsky before but this concert has now made me an avid fan.
Amalia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to buy tickets to hear Itzak Perlman today but sadly, the concert was sold out. Sad I ended up with tickets to see the Smothers Brothers tomorrow night instead. At least I'll get to hear a little of Tommy's guitar and Dickie's string bass. Very Happy

Strad's are indeed special. I was at a concert a few years ago where a young professional violinist had been loaned, just for the night, a Strad. After the concert, he gave the audience a little sound demonstration. First he played a simple scale on his own instrument (in the $50,000 to $100,000 range), then the same scale on the Strad. The difference was very obvious and the audience gave the Strad a standing ovation. Smile But then again, as my violin teacher points out, even a Strad doesn't sound like anything without a good player to play it. Smile
Highlander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never heard of smothers brothers but I hope you have a nice night out.
Amalia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Smothers Brother are a comedy team who use Folk music as their jumping off point. Here's a very old clip of the Smothers Brothers when they were just starting out in the 1950's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIfl2o44zb0 They are now in their late 60's but they are still incredible funny and they still focus their act around Folk music.

Here's another clip were they actually play a lot of music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rRxs8p8Is0&feature=related
Amalia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Smother's Brothers were great! Just as good as they were in their prime. They did a lot of the old skits that you can find on youtube.com but they had rewritten them making them even better. They did Yo-Yo Man, and they included a lot of good music as well. I took my 20yo and my 14yo and they thoroughly enjoyed themselves. The Smothers Brothers are timeless!
Jack Rushing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highlander wrote:
It was a really bright and graceful performance of all pieces. The orchestra did have some standout characters. The Stradivarius was completely different in tone to the Dolphin Strad that I heard Akiko Suwannai play Carmen Fantasy at the proms; which I have recorded. The Dolphin seemed deeper and richer compared to the Baron Oppenheim, which was perfectly suited to Bach's music with the softer, more elegant sound. It could also be the big difference between players and preferred styles. I had never heard any Starvinsky before but this concert has now made me an avid fan.

Is this the Dolphin Strad that was owned and played by Jascha Heifetz?
Highlander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalia.
Watched the clips and a couple of others as well, went well with my midday coffee

Jack
according to wikipedia

1951: acquired by Jascha Heifetz.
The Dolphin is currently owned by the Nippon Music Foundation on loan to violinist Akiko Suwanai.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: