Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A smoother rosin?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Cadd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: A smoother rosin? Reply with quote

I have been using some Pirastro Schwarz rosin which seems a very fierce type with quite a lot of "noise".What do players find a good rosin for their violins?The most expensive will be cheap if it works well.What do the soloists like to dazzle us with?
I have been looking at various sites but nobody ever writes a review of their rosin.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An addition to the question. For beginners---.When you rub your bow on the rosin,twist the block to and fro to wear it down evenly and avoid a hollow groove which is not good for the hair tension.
That`s what Jascha Heifetz recommended.
Highlander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the hidersine 3V which was £3.99 it does leave a lot of dust but has given me no problems. I dont keep it in the tin anymore because when its cold the tin contracts and its impossible to open.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in Edinburgh when they say cold they mean COLD. But I think it`s quite a classy place to live. Am I right? Maybe it`s just the accent.
Highlander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live outside Edinburgh at the moment, but | hope to move there in the new year as I am potentially returning to higher education next term. It's still cold, but I hope for the usual half hour of sunshine in the summer.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You try telling kids that these days----and they won`t believe you.
Highlander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not unless they live round here
LSOviolinist

Location: Los Angeles, California/Boston, Massachusetts/New York, New York

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amezcua,

The rosin that I have used for years is Gustave Bernadel. I love it too death and I would be pretty hard pressed to switch. It gives off relatively little dust and is very responsive. I've found that it eliminates many of the scratchy sounds that accompany other rosin's.

I hope you find what you're looking for!
Amalia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amezcua, I don't get the advice about now wearing a groove in your rosin. What does that have to do with hair tension? I deliberately always rub a new cake of rosin in the same place so that it will wear a groove in the cake. It's much easier to rosin my bow in a groove that over the top of a round cake. Ugh.

And as far a roughness, I don't understand it, but that roughness doesn't seem to be too affected much by which rosin I use. It seems to be more a result of the particular combination of bow and violin.

I have 4 nicer bows, an old French one, a new French one, and 2 new American ones. I also have several nice violins. As I switch between violins and bows, I've found that specific bows seem to pair up better (sound better) with specific violins. My "favorite" bow changes according to what violin I'm playing and the rosin doesn't seem to matter.

I have several different rosins and use whichever is handy. I can't tell you what kind I have with me right now (I'm traveling) but it's dark and cost $16, lol.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSOviolinist Thankyou for the Bernadel suggestion.I don`t believe I`ve seen that make before. When recordings are made the technicians try to remove the rustle noise of the bow. In that situation I think it gives a feeling of presence. I would prefer to have that left alone.Also the sound of the player breathing . What the Schwarz does is to change the note sound itself.
Your nom de plume sounds very impressive.You should always write as if you are still wearing your white bow tie.Many thanks.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalia The groove in the rosin will tend to stress the hair near the edges as you approach the frog. This is probably the reason why Heifetz always recommended keeping the rosin flat .It`s a hateful business trying to keep your fingers off the hair as you rotate the rosin. This was in the book about Heifetz by (either) Ayke Agus or Sherry Kloss.
The actual reason for this was not stated. On the same note.the Strad article about Kreisler says that he kept the hair on his bow very tight.This may be connected.Only some of the hair is making the sound.The rest is keeping the bow tensioned .If you look with a magnifier at the hair as it crosses the string you see how the hairs blend and adapt to maintain a smooth contact.As a violin player it is a fine image to have in your mind.I always tell my children when the Spring blossom is on the trees -----Turn your head up and look right at the flowers.You will remember them much better.
The Heifetz idea may have been to rosin the bow exactly the same way as you play with it.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another on for Amalia
I had to start again as the mechanics of moving screens gets in the way.
Roughness . I was trying to separate rustle from roughness.This must be what makes rosin makers cry themselves to sleep .Bless.
If the note starts to sound strident it can depend on the bow itself.There is a sort of spectrum of influences that each player needs to balance.One bow I use has a clear bright sound.If that sounds coarse then it is something else causing the problem.The strings can be fierce.(Eva Pirazzi).The rosin type.Then which violin is flavour of the month. And we all thought it was just the notes.Doh.
I only found this out because I use a skeleton violin made of wood.It has very limited sounds and will complain if there is anything wrong at all.( Much like a crying baby)
The worst of anything will show up where a normal good violin will not be so particular.
The rosin makers will always recommend you to keep to one rosin.The reason (again) is not stated.
When I changed to Schwarz I cleaned the hair first with Methylated spirits.There was no mixing involved.I did the same when I changed back.That gave me a clearer indication. Isn`t it great when things get complicated?
Amalia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love complicated, unless it violates common sense. Smile

It probably would help if I replaced the hairs on my bow once in a while. Embarassed Honestly, I'm kind of afraid of that too. What if my bow gets damaged in the process? Is there anything special I should know before I have the hair replaced on my old french bow? In the past I've just taken my other bows to the local violin shop and said, "Please put new hair on this." LOL!
John Cadd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I don`t know about your local shop ,but this forum has enough experts to make a sound recommendation.Stand over the repairer like Paganini and say what he did.(holding the knife) "One slip and you`re dead."
Amalia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a good plan. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: