Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

strings for viola

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Becky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: strings for viola Reply with quote

Does a 14" viola NEED strings specifically for a 14" viola?
I had a 16" viola, but decided to downsize to a 14" so the finger spacing would be the same as the violin. I still have a few sets of nice strings for a 16" viola. Is it okay to use these on a 14" viola?
Also, could I put for example a violin D string on a 14" viola that needed a D?
I primarily play violin. The viola is just for fun and I'm not as picky about a perfect set up for it...
Highlander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becky
I have tried as you probably have as well, to look through all the sites with strings. None of them give the gauge of the string. The gauge will verify the tension on the instrument. You wont be applying too much pressure to the viola, if the gauge is the same. If you can wait till Thursday I will ask my teacher who plays both viola and violin if it would be all right.
techfiddle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 14" viola is approximately the same size as a full size violin, so you can take a 14" viola and put 4/4 (full size) violin strings on it; I've done it, and you get a very strong violin, usable to study. But I don't think you should put 16" viola strings on a 14" viola. They're not going to tune properly, no matter what you do.
http://beststudentviolins.com/Home.html
John Cadd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read 2 days ago that if you place the soundpost directly under the bridge foot the higher vibrations are suppressed and a violin will sound very like a viola.If you change strings the shorter length should not endanger the structure.
The soundpost idea was tested behind a curtain and they voted the "violin" as the best sounding viola.But it won`t burn as long.
Shame on me ,I like a bit of viola music.
Shirley

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amezcua ~ well - what do you know about that? Really interesting! I'd like to learn more. Shirley
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the site was looking at ideas for a smaller viola.It may still be on the history list.When you lose something,it`s always in the last place you look.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ,here we are. Have a look at Lashoff Violins
under Useful Measurements& Information.
There is a List of Page Contents
Read the bit below the heading list.
Starts Small violas and some thoughts.
The bad news includes drilling a hole in the belly.The reason and explanation leaves a few question marks.
I have a Requinto guitar which is tuned down to a normal guitar frequency.I fitted high tension guitar strings as this will not stress the top .It works for this little chap.
The shorter string will mean you need maybe a soloist grade that will have more pull. .Check some site that has a tension chart.
Always stay below the violin figure.
Voila.(Get it?)
John Cadd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it seems crazy to cut holes in a violin.If the purpose is to damp out the treble side vibrations surely they could put the post under the bridge an then add 2 extra posts above and below (inside) with rubber tips against the belly.Sounds less damaging.
ollieken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Becky Reply with quote

Becky Have a look around this site it may answer your ?
http://www.thomastik-infeld.com/start/index.html

I copyed & pasted this from it
DonĀ“t risk using strings not designed for your instrumentĀ“s size
If you put strings on a instrument which is smaller than the one which the string is designed for, there will be a considerable loss of tension and sound quality. Apart from this, the thicker playing length of the string will end up being wound around the tuning peg, which - especially with thicker strings - will result in damage to the core, loss of tonal quality and strings breaking. This is one of the most common mistakes. We refer you to the listing of strings for smaller instruments in our catalogue.

If you put strings on an instrument which is larger than the one the strings are designed for, e.g. on a large viola, it will have the same effect as tuning the string to too high a pitch, or starting tuning from the highest string to lowest instead of the other way around. Doing this even once can severely fatigue the string or break it. http://www.thomastik-infeld.com/strings/index.html ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: