Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Tchaikovsky too secular?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the Nun`s film,and I still remember the slightly morbid fear of Nuns. Similarly with Priests.Always a smell of carbolic soap.Maybe scented soap is a sin. You seem to be more in tune with Bach`s ideas ,which I think were more honest in his era.
The cricket tuning does not affect the volume .It (seems) to give a massive improvement in the richness of tone.I put seems in brackets as an afterthought as there is no doubt at all in my mind.
Leave it till the next time your bridge is taken off and check it then.
Alternatively try it on a second violin for comparison.It puts the "gold" in the tone. Make sure the sound post stays exactly where it is.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalia
Just to get you started with the characters try u tube for Father Jack Hairy Hands.
Look out for the famous lady housekeeper.
Amalia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm check that out. Smile
John Cadd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalia There is a Catholic organisation that has made some very severe critcisms about Father Ted.This is a show that my wife has no problems with.She has ultra conservative respectable views about tv combined with a nice sense of humour. The Catholic organisation is effectively censoring America by blocking the tv companies.This Stalinist attittude is spoiling your fun.You all (Y`all ) don`t know what you`re missing. I sometimes watch it just for the housekeeper.
Will you not have a cup of tea? Ahh go on, go on ,go on.
Amalia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, American TV is FULL TO THE BRIM with pure TRASH! I can't see how it can get much worse. It's certainly not we prudeish Americans who are saying "no" to anything. LOL! I must say though, that the last (and only) time I was in England, I was a bit surprised by the type of humor that was common there. Things that would be considered "politically incorrect" or "in poor taste", were considered universally acceptable there. For example, one advertizement poster I saw in a public place quite clearly made fun of the elderly . I think the same ad would be considered a definate "no-no" here in the states.

I loved England, especially the countryside. Didn't care for the food though, except the scones. Yum! Unfortunately I don't care for tea. Sad
John Cadd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tea is a very individual pleasure Amalia .Your own personal way of making it is the only right one .I only ever drink it if I make it myself.The "classy " type of tea called Earl Grey tastes as if it has disinfectant added. Back to Father Ted now. If you compare the series to Laurel and Hardy. Would you say you like or loathe Laurel and Hardy? It`s like that with Father Ted. About tv ,the plaque of pop music is the worst.Reality shows ,music on top of the news,hysterical sport commentators.Where does it all end. BTW are we still on topic?I`ve almost forgotten what it was.
Amalia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, I haven't seen any Laurel and Hardy for so long I can't make much of a judgment. I recall liking them. My big favorite was Buster Keaton. Smile
Amalia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just to tie this to the forum in some way, do you recall in which film it was that Buster Keaton "accidentally" smash up a Strad? Smile
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ,I can`t recall Buster Keaton doing that. That will be on a very interesting site. By the way, can you ever remember meeting anybody that did not like Laurel and Hardy ? That would be very sad. The satellite tv channels often show Laurel and Hardy films in foreign languages. Turkish,Hungarian ,Italian,you name it. Last month the satellite Russian channel did a tour of Tchaikovsky`s house and garden which was very precious. They keep his desk and furniture in it`s original positions.Photographs are still on the wall.It was a special accident to find that program.
It reminds me of another accidental discovery on a trip to Wales.We walked down a road near a river estuary .There was an old faded green wooden shed just off the road.No pavement.I looked in the small window and saw a desk and chair and some papers. A small plaque told me this was where Dylan Thomas wrote his plays and poems. I stopped for a second and then said to my wife , "This is a holy place". I think the village was called Llarne. In one poem he uses the phrase "House High Hay" and when I mentioned that to my Father -in -law he said ,"Where`s that?".
Amalia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to a little snippet about Keaton and the violin (it was a Strad in the movie):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Good_Old_Summertime

WOO HOO! Here's a film clip showing the actual footage of Keaton smashing the Strad!

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/index.jsp?cid=32120
John Cadd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalia after a long pause .Strange to see Buster Keaton in a coloured talkie. Do you see a likeness with Heifetz? If we`re going back how about the little gem I found yesterday? I found an old recording of Delia Murphy singing the Spinning Wheel song.Guaranteed to bring a tear to the eye of anyone with Irish connections.My Auntie had exactly that accent. That tune would test your bowing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: