Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you working on now?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack H.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: What are you working on now? Reply with quote

As for me, we are working on a very nice St. Cecile cello with a broken neck, 3 bass bar cracks going from the top to the bottom of the table and a re-opened sound post patch.
Also in the shop is a bass with the top off getting about 30 cracks repaired. in the wings is another bass with a hole in the center bout from a bottle of water ( 1/2 liter) that was thrown to the bassist as he was playing on stage.

What is on your workbench??

Jack Havivi
Havivi violins
Israel
Jeffrey Holmes

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one's next (violin met a stage door as it opened while to soloist was waiting to enter the stage; It's been waiting a couple months until I could make time for it):

Just finished this one (rib cracks; any guesses as to who made those long corners?? Smile):

Then on to a Cuypers 'cello with a sp crack and a Gand 'cello that was dropped (neck fractured along with the upper ribs).

http://holmesviolins.com

Last edited by Jeffrey Holmes on Wed May 02, 2007 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
MANFIO

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently making a 17 inches viola.

Hi Jeffrey! That's a nice violin indeed. Stage doors... what a fate!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875988@N02/with/464604020/
Ken Pollard

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my work is rather mundane student instrument repair, but I want to put more effort into building. I attended Boyd Poulsen's violin-making course in California last summer, and am going again this year. At that workshop, I started a violin based on the Stradivari "Red Diamond".

Maybe if I post something here, it will embarrass me into progress. Following the workshop procedure, I have started a 16" viola based on a copy of the Stradivari form and the Strad magazine's poster of the 1696 "Archinto". So far, I have the form finished and have a few of the corner blocks squared up. I have plain wood (maple and spruce) for the instrument, because I expect about a 50% chance of creating firewood. Also, I do like the look of some of the old Italian instruments made with plain wood.
Jack H.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Pollard wrote:

Maybe if I post something here, it will embarrass me into progress. Following the workshop procedure, I have started a 16" viola based on a copy of the Stradivari form and the Strad magazine's poster of the 1696 "Archinto". So far, I have the form finished and have a few of the corner blocks squared up. I have plain wood (maple and spruce) for the instrument, because I expect about a 50% chance of creating firewood. Also, I do like the look of some of the old Italian instruments made with plain wood.

I love that poster.
It is a great picture of a beautiful instrument!
I have it hanging in my work space, it is a nice inspiration.
Just sit back down at the bench and start again!
It will be hard to stop you and you will enjoy the time!
I like the odds!
Go for it!

Jack H.
Havivi Violins
Israel.
Will get some photos up somewhere!
jessupe goldastini

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: my first Reply with quote

hi all i'm working on my very first violin....its going very well....so far i have the rib structure complete, my top linings in, my top and bottom arched, i have done 85% of the neck work and will be finishing that soon....i have no formal education in violin construction and look forward to learning what i can here...i am 39 and have been professionally doing woodwork since i was 12{hardwood flooring} i am a competent musician and am always involved in music both classical and more conteporary styles as well...thank you to the webmaster for creating this forum
Jeffrey Holmes

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack H.: Is the St. Cecile you have in one with the darker ruby varnish, or the lighter red-orange type? Have a nice one that visits me (will be here later this month) with lighter varnish. Very pretty.

http://holmesviolins.com
KenN

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the plates for a MIlanollo and a Bergonzi from the last Strad poster almost done. I decided to try to make a baroque fingerboard for the Bergonzi, I only had one blank. It's quite an ordeal! No wonder they go for 380 euro or so. Buying a blank would have been easier, but you do learn a lot about the instrument design when you get really int each detail. I'm making it like a guy in Germany (forgot the website) does with a spruce core, an ebony inlay that will end up 2.5mm thick or so and solid maple around the edges with no miters. I drew it up like the ones David Van Zandt has on his webite. Really nice work there! His necks don't look quite baroque, they have more of an angle, and the fingerboards don't have the notch in them. I call them a balanced fingerboard. The ends are the same thickness on the sides and are about the same length from the end of the neck. Anyway, the fingerboard is almost done, then I'll have to work on the tailstock!
Jack H.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffrey Holmes wrote:
Jack H.: Is the St. Cecile you have in one with the darker ruby varnish, or the lighter red-orange type? Have a nice one that visits me (will be here later this month) with lighter varnish. Very pretty.

it is one with the lighter varnish, except for the broken neck bass bar crack and sp crack it is in incredibly good condition.
I must have fitted at least 70 blocks for gluing and clamping on that cello!

J

Last edited by Jack H. on Mon May 07, 2007 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
DonLeister

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm arching the top and back of a PG violin mould that I made using F. Denis' method from his new book. This is #1 from this mould and my 28th instrument, mostly violins. Adding to the excitement , I'm using some curtate cycloid arching templates that I made ( first time) That make for an arching I never would have come up with on my own that 's for sure. In a good way , I mean.
Other things on the bench are an ok german cello that I have put a new neck in and another lesser cello doing some edge repairs and touch up.
Bow rehair...
Not such great stuff I guess, but for me it is a challenge that I enjoy, to do it really well and in a timely way.
Don
Mikes

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just starting my second fiddle. Using the Strad poster of the Kruse that came out a while back. The mold is done and hopefully this weekend I can get the blocks glued in and get the rib stock made. I got some nice wood from Orcas Island Tonewoods.

Best regards,
Mike Spencer
Andres Sender

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally a bending iron I can live with:

MANFIO

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andrès, that's great!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875988@N02/with/464604020/
Andre Paul

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi You all,

You remember the viola I was asking so many question about the neck and scroll?
I have it now assembled and I am playing it in the white.

I find my C bouts are too small, not open enough. I cant turn back now so I will apply the ground and varnish and keep it for my pleasure.

I have a few pictures,

Remember be kind with your critics.
[img=http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/3135/img0067fy5.jpg]

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/3135/img0067fy5.jpg
Jack Rushing

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andre, Not bad at all. The bouts do look a little small, but you learned
a lot didn't you? I think you did a pretty good on the purfling.!!!
Show us some pictures when you complete it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: