Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

arching by eye

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessupe goldastini

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: arching by eye Reply with quote

does everyone here use contour gauges...i did my arching by eye and am very pleased with it... i had the pleasure of observing both a Scarabotto and a Gorio in person at my leisure over the course of a month or so, as well as a croen...so in my mind i was kinda carving elements of all three from visual sighting....when you guys{ whoever} do your arching are you trying to create the same type/s of violin over and over, perfecting one shape...or do you freeform and lets the wood and the gouge tell you what to do....i think, so far i perfer the latter
MANFIO

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! If I were you, I would use templates for the archings. We use in general the transversal templates. I use mine cut in half.

You can use your eye if you have a very trained one. But observing the varnished archings and reproducing it accurately can be quite difficult.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875988@N02/with/464604020/
jessupe goldastini

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for the response...i hope to engage you furtehr regarding other topics....i assume your adivise is derived from wanting to achieve a consistancy with the underside graduation?....
DonLeister

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just starting to use templates from curtate cycloids and cannot give much comment in the way of results, but something I am noticing is how mush more recurve there is with them, not necessarily a deep recurve but sometimes it can be very subtle. This is different from what I have been doing before which was a less deep channeling and a flatter arch.

I'm not sure if this is any help to you, but I don't think I could have come up with this kind of arch without a template.
I have only done a replacement top for one of my violins with cc archings with good results, and am nowe doing a new violin using them.

I don't follow the template strictly, but move it in or out , up or down , as a guide. I prefer a flexible approach.
Don
jessupe goldastini

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CurtateCycloid.html

ya, here's a good link discribing the principle....

thanks for the input
woodwiz

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than anything else, I would pay attention to my arching. The shape of the arching seems to be the prime factor in determining the sound of an instrument, providing thicknesses are reasonable. Next most important would probably be the ground and varnish system.

Curtate cycloids do seem to be a fairly good match for classical arching, as long as you keep the arching pretty broad and full, with not too much recurve. If I were just starting out, though, I'd try copying proven models to get my skills down before branching out on my own.
Andres Sender

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about satisfying yourself without templates is that you have no crosscheck. You think you got it 'cause it looks good, but did you really?

Do you do the shape of the top of the bridge by eye? Why not? Smile
sdantonio

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since I first started doing this ages ago I have used templates as a general guide. If a particular piece of wood is stiffer (or less stiff) than another you may want to make the arch a bit higher or lower to compensate, but basically I have always made them to the same gereral shape (traced from my teachers templates, who traced his from his teacher, who traced hers from Sacconi).

If you need templates, a good general template to start with would be the ones in the Strobel book. I prefer these to the ones in the strad posters, they just seem a little more cleanly drawn. But the posters have been a staple for years.

Steven
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: